Register now to get rid of these ads!

57 F100 hitch?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coolbreeze1340, Mar 22, 2012.

1. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

Thinking about working on a hitch for my 57' Ford F100. Anybody find one that fits well? I was looking it over tonight and my idea is to mount the hitch mounting flanges on top of the frame rails vs. the bottom of the frame. I think that will allow the hitch receiver to be high enough to be hidden by my license plate. If anyone has done something like this before let me know.

2. I am interested in this as well. My 60' will end up being my daily driver.

3. usa trailer parts central lists an multifit motorhome hitch that fits frames from 24-46 inches. Three piece ,cut to widthneeded. I would think you could use most any late pick up hitch just cut the mounting plates off the ends and narrow the cross tube to the length you want and reweld the mounting plates.

4. I did a tech piece in this six years ago...

But basically I bought a swap meet hitch for less than $20... cut it to fit in the frame rails and then welded it into the frame.

I think I had to put a longer bed bolt on the back that when all the way through the frame.

And then I got a late 70's to 80's GM flip fown license plate holder (the one that gives you access to the gas filler neck.) and mounted the license plate over the hitch.

Or... maybe that was on another truck... because I know on one of my old trucks, I just made a hitch plug that mounted the plate.

Either way... it was cheap and easy.

Sam

5. I saw one on a panel. The owner had cut a neat hole in the bumper and fitted the hitch behind it. The bumper was tied to the hitch. I'm thinking if it got hit from behind the whole thing would make for a great back up to the bumper