Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs '57 El Camino: Can it be done right???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mtlcutter, Oct 27, 2009.

1. sure why not..............not like it really happened,but you gotta believe they had the design at that point,the roof coulda been a continueation at that point............

2. James Maxwell

James Maxwell
    from So-Cal

I think not.

Chevy knew what they were doing, and they already had a "custom truck" with the Cameo.

3. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

4. WHATEVER.....this is just wishing so lighten up James....damn!

5. jazzbum

jazzbum

what about the hudson terraplane pickups? i've always liked the proportions of those. i think that's the problem with the tri-five elco idea; seems like it should work in theory but even the nomads aren't really long enough to look right proportionally.

6. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

the black one is cool! shame on the cutup red nomad or any nomad

7. Licensed to kill

Licensed to kill
    from Alberta

Yeah, except if you want a 1957 El Camino, you CAN'T just go buy one, you have to make it.

While I totally agree, how is it different than chopping the roof of a Model A, or C notching the frame and slamming a 1961 Chevy truck that came with the full custom cab package, or suicideing the doors. I DO know what you mean as my heart just sinks when I see some enterprising young stud "butcher" what I consider to be a classic old car/truck but for everyone that cringes at someones customizing of a Nomad (for instance) there's someone that thinks it's cool. That's hotrodding I guess. In order to help me to accept that fact, I just tell myself, everytime someone slams a great ride or soddomizes it in some other way, it just makes the ones owned by people with taste worth more:D.

8. McFly

McFly

9. johnboy13

johnboy13

Yeah, custom cars are lame. You should only have what the factory offered.

10. henry29

henry29

I have a pic of a full size 55 elcamino prototype drawing
    The car looks alot like the two door wagon posted above.

Might take a while, but I'll see if I can find it.

11. 52pickup

52pickup
    from Tucson, Az

there is a guy in tucson that is cranking them out, I think he builds them out of 4 doors... I've seen a couple of them he's done. I think the shop is called D&S customs? Something like that. It's right next to Kalil.

12. This one looks like the orange n white one I first spoke of. was this car scrapped? I think i'd give one of my nuts for that one, but i'd have to figure out if i'd give the left or the right.

13. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

It can be done and it has been done and leaving the stock '57 NoMad B pillar is the only way it can look good. I am tearing my library apart looking for one done in the '70? it was so nicely done you thought it was a factory build........

14. str8axle55

str8axle55
    from MA

15. squirrel

squirrel

who had this model kit when they were a kid?

Attached Files:

16. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

yeah i agree never cut up an el camino, they are too one of a kind to make one of these theres plenty of sedan ones that can be used

17. I think if you take your time and think it out... you could build something really cool.

I don't think you need to make it out of a Nomad... you could if you find a cheap one.

But better yet, find a two door wagon and CHOP AWAY!

Sam

18. "anybody can restore a car....it takes a MAN to chop one up!" Posies rod shop who cares a nomad is just a fancy two door wagon,it can be made better.......:D

19. Dzus

Dzus

Man, I did. I was obsessed with 55-7's. I went looking for my old AMT 55 model and realized it's still with a bunch of other models in my parents attic.
    I need to dig them out. I actually made a 56 Nomad model using a Revell 56 hardtop and a Revell 57 Nomad.

When I got my first real 56 the models ended.

20. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

It looks like the one that I was talking about that Boyd built,not sure???

21. Im not draggin anybody anywhere,that was a quote Ken made famous!!!!.................damn Holmes maybe you should hang out at the stick up my ass tri fives are perfect stock site,this is about what can be made possible with work and a creative mind..........anything and any car can be made better by the right person

Attached Files:

22. first its a elcamino not a truck,two here ya go slick now fuckin let it go!......FUCK!

Attached Files:

23. chevrolet150

chevrolet150

There was a red 55 chevy nomad made into a elcamino a few years ago. It was in SuperChevy I think. I can find any pic of it yet. They used a 65 elcamino as a donor and a regular wagon tailgate and rear section because the nomad has to much slant at the gate. It sure did look sweet.

24. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

If were not looking at the money part.
    I would rather have a 4 door wagon than a elcamino or the nomad.

25. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

I'd seen other makes and years that were similar to the american models, but in ute form. I was just guessing, and after looking myself I see I was WAY off!

26. mtlcutter

mtlcutter

Hey Guys. Sorry to throw this out there and get y'all worked up. My friend is thinking about the IDEA. So I wanted to see what we all could find for him. If he doesn't do this the right way, he aint going to do it. But I want him to, because other wise he's going to tub it an buy 20's, then go fuel injected, and he's got the money to do what ever he wants. I'm trying to get him to keep the 283, go with, vintage fuel injection, or faux 3-2's (hes not mechanically inclined), and build a bitchin 60's style custom. I personally like the black one with th rear window from the 60' elky. Unless you boys got anything done better thats the pic I'm sending him. (ALONG WITH A BUNCH OF BITCHIN, CLEAN, CUSTOM (slightly smoothed -over), NOMADS TO KEEP HIM FROM GOING TO THE DARK SIDE.)

27. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Tell him to save the roof off of it in case someone wants to convert one of these (UTES) back to a nomad:D

28. Personally, I'd cut up anything if it was in sad enough shape to start with. You can't sell crap for any money, and it's too costly to "restore" for most of us. Take what you've got, and do what you want with it!..........That's how creativity is expressed. James, take a friggin' chill pill, or we'll have to call the WAAAAAmbulance. ;)

29. Tinbasher

Tinbasher

Yes!! I built a 63 Valiant 2Dr. H/T into a El Ranchero in high school. My Auto Body treacher had been building them since 59.

To get the proportions right you need to start with a two door. Then you cut out the rear window about 4" ahead of the glass. Then cut out the 1/4 window frames about 2" of the sail panel and the edge of the roof.

Leave the roof skin long for now. Cut the 1/4 window frame down until they fit up to the back edge of the door and they look right. Try to keep the factory angles if you can. Once your happy with this then tack weld these panels into place. Now fit up the rear window to these panels and under the roof skin. Use metal strips and screws to hold things together and then stand back about 20' and see how it looks. You will have to adjust the lenght to make it look factory. Once your happy with the look then tack weld this panel into place.

If you can find a tail section from a Nomad that looks excellent. If not take the trunk lid and cut it down to make a tailgate. Use the hinges from a SUV or something similar. When this is all in place then you can play fill in the gaps and make up the panels to bring it all together. I'll see if I can get the pictures of the Valiant out of the old Album and post them.

Hope this helps: "The Old TInbasher"

30. i cut up a packard so i wont add my opinion to this but thought id show a 1/16 scale nomad that was damaged so i turned it into a ute. i also own a holden tonner which i wish was a chev, but sadly it aint.[​IMG]