Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 57 corvette suggestion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scotty t, Aug 7, 2017.

1. mike bowling

mike bowling

That car is flat out gorgeous- if it's running good , drive it! You're a lucky Dude !

els likes this.
  2. cavman

cavman

2 fours, 4 speed and an open road...that's all it needs.
    Here is what they look like if left to decay. It was a factory FI car. 100_1475.JPG 100_1476.JPG

catdad49, els, kidcampbell71 and 2 others like this.
  3. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

My opinion. Get some different wheels, it needs a little more chrome. I like the colors, but it would look great with that red in one of your pictures also. I'd be happy with the powertrain you have, but a 327 2-4 carbed car would be nice also. Just keep it and every time you go for a ride, I'm sure your Dad will be riding with you with a smile on his face as will you.

els and loudbang like this.
  4. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

I posted a picture of your car on our Canadian Corvette forum (hope you don't mind). Eight replies, all loved the car and suggested leaving it as is. Wide whites was the only suggestion by two members.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it. Best of luck.

els and scotty t like this.
  5. I think you're close.
    57 vette.jpg

6. agshelby

agshelby
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I echo the "don't paint it" recommendations earlier in the thread. I've had shiny, perfect cars and I just didn't enjoy them or use them as much as my worn cars.

As for drivetrain - make it reliable so that it doesn't sit.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

7. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Wow!!!!!!
    Read every comment in this post. They're one of my faves and right about the time when GM/Chev got serious about making 1HP per c.i. They basically changed the whole Ford/GM rivalry.
    I say this being a big fan of many car camps.
    You're one "fortunate son"! Growing up with a history of this car and seeing its many different incarnations. You've inquired for ideas, but somehow in your heart you have the idea for the car that shares so many memories for you and now your wife. Whatever you choose, it will just be one more page in its continued history of it being a part of you're family.
    I say this be cause I as a child I drove around with my late father in a Raven Black 55 Bird.
    It was a stock as they come save for the options that one could get in 55, this one has them all.
    At 4 yrs old I told my stepmom that I wanted that car, they both continued to drive it, but in 74, it was stolen, but recovered immediately.
    That freaked them out so she decided to regulate it to casual duty, my dad just thought that it should be used in the same manner.
    This car stayed in drive anywhere condition until shortly before I received it in the 80's. IMG_0474.PNG
    I was driving a Corvette....
    I have always felt lucky to have received this car and I keep it at the house that I associate it with from my youth. I've done a great deal of things with this car. IMG_0473.PNG It's had/has several sets of wheels, been in movies, Changed its stance but can change it back and kept its color black the whole time.
    Everything that I've done is in keeping with the theme that my dad-mom maintained during their stewardship. It's still even 6v. ;). IMG_0472.PNG
    You've received a truly wonderful gift, drive it enjoy it and if you feel a need for a change, it's yours so she's in the right hands.

Attached Files:

Baron, 62hotcat, pigfluxer and 10 others like this.

8. great story beautiful car.

els, loudbang and Cyclone Kevin like this.
  9. several people have mentioned changing the wheels, i know they are new, but they are just the modern version of a classic style. the car had 60's ET wheels years ago but they were knock offs of the same wheels. i need opinions of "proper" wheels for this MO-chine. i'm not springing for the magnesium halibrands everybody loves around here!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    Baron, els, enloe and 1 other person like this.
  10. els

els

Looks great as it is. It's yours. Do it your way. But I like it. Very nice.

loudbang likes this.
  11. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

So I was thinking about what I posted above re: the whole hot rodding of your Vette and how it all started for Chevrolet with a memo penned by our favorite ARDUN HOT RODDER none other than Zora Arkus-Duntov.
    Here's the memo:
    IMG_0943.PNG IMG_0944.PNG IMG_0945.PNG
    Mr. Maurice Olley was no slouch himself, he has quite an extensive background in automotive engineering and suspension development.
    This memo changed it all and Hot Rodding has never been the same, in reading this, the Sister divisions of Olds and Buick are not even addressed in the assessment of their own OHV program, but ARDUN & CHRYSLER FIREPOWER are addressed.
    This 57 Corvette is truly a special car in oh so many ways. Can't wait to see your take on it.
    It's gonna be a greater ride than ever!!!!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    loudbang, porkshop, badvolvo and 5 others like this.
  12. sunbeam

sunbeam

My buddys 271 hp 289 would wind to 9000 rpm until he moved the switch on the tach from 6 to 8.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    loudbang, badvolvo, els and 1 other person like this.
  13. I'm not much of a painter, but I've been told that black is the easiest color to touch up chips, scratches and other road rash. If you're jonesin' for a change or a fresh look, just do something with the side scallops and the wheels. Those all black examples on the previous pages look pretty good. Changing the engine is optional. Don't pick the fastest; pick the sweetest sounding to you personally.

Back in the early 60's, I was an almost owner of a '59. My brother owned it and I could borrow it for special dates. He and I did a cross country road trip in it. We had a handshake agreement that I would buy it from him when he was ready. But I messed up the opportunity when I bought the first Mustang in town June of '64, and he had to sell a short time later. It was a rich, deep red, almost like a candy, white top and black interior. It looked better that that sounds.
    *** If anyone has a good idea of the paint color I'm talking about, please post or message. I'd like to know.***

loudbang and els like this.
  14. elgringo71

elgringo71

Honduras Maroon ? That's what it sounds like and I believe that it was available on a 1960 Corvette.

15. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

You could go red with the coves and leave the rest black

16. 61SS

61SS
    from Illinois

Cosmo49 and els like this.
  17. I'd suggest a motor / trans swap and have some fun with it. If you get into bodywork / paint, who knows how long it will be down and could turn into one of those long term project deals.

18. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

DSCN1725.JPG

DSCN1722.JPG
    DSCN1726.JPG

catdad49, Cosmo49, Baron and 3 others like this.
  19. jimdillon

jimdillon

That's Ed and his 57 at Autorama

Baron, els, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  20. MARKDTN

MARKDTN

I would not do a thing to it. Drive it and enjoy it. the OT TPI is good stuff and the car is cool as-is.

Baron and loudbang like this.
  21. 32Stoker

32Stoker

Paint it black again, but this time make the cove black and change out the wheels to black steel with dog dish caps. 327 with dual carbs. Solid lifter. Muncie M-21. White tuck and roll interior using the same seat frames and door panels. You asked...

scotty t and loudbang like this.
  22. cretin

cretin

I've never been a corvette fan, but this thing is rad! Just became my favorite corvette.

loudbang likes this.
  23. noboD

noboD

I rode in this car a few years ago. It is local to me, a REAL airbox '57 that's been a race car since new.

catdad49 and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  24. My opinion....

No repaint, dual-quad SBC(prefer 283 or 327), Muncie, and either leave the wheels or add chrome reverse wheels(with chrome spider caps) and blackwalls or pinner whites.

On the other hand, I would not hesitate to keep it as-is. Nice ride!

AND NOW BLOWER ON THIS CAR!!! If you need a blower, find a ChevyII!

25. The only thing I would do is put my name on the title and drive the crap out of it! HRP

scotty t and enloe like this.
  26. Doug, before I moved to GA, Dick Robinson had a few airbox '56-57's in his shop that he was restoring- do you know if he did your neighbor's car?

els likes this.
  27. That 409 vette gives me a raging....well you know. I sold my last 409 about two years ago. I always thought a 63 or 64 would be cool as hell with an '09

catdad49, Bowtie Coupe and els like this.
  28. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

Hey Scotty t I have a 348 if your interested?!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

scotty t and els like this.