Register now to get rid of these ads!

57 Chevy truck brake drum & Axel "hub" diameter probs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by grapp, Sep 19, 2013.

1. grapp

grapp

Hey,
    So I have a 57 Chevrolet 3100 series pickup... I am in the process of rebuilding the brake system...and kingpins, and getting her up and running. So here is the problem... I guess someone replaced an axle Both rear drums are the same, with a center hole of approx 3 1/2 inches that the drum slips over a small "hub" on the axle flange. These are 6 lug brakes. The passenger side has a small "hub" that is about 3 7/8 in diameter so the drum doesn't fit flush on the axle flange. Off course I figured this out after I had the drums cut. Problem is I can't seem to find a 6 lug 11x2 drum with a center hole large enough.. Anybody know a source for a drum that will fit this axle? and wth did the axle come out of?

2. grapp

grapp

Pictures!

Attached Files:

3. 5559

from tn

never seen one like that.Maybe have a machine shop cut it to fit. I've had drums stick to the axle flange in the middle like that & I'v ground the hole out bigger but it looks like you have too far to go to do that

4. grapp

grapp

Well yes I have three options, find a drum that fits, enlarge hole in existing drum, or get the axle turned down, finding a drum sounds like the easiest?

5. but turning the axle solves the problem forever.

6. midnight auto parts

midnight auto parts
    from tn

wonder if that is from a gmc?

7. grapp

grapp

I have searched both GMC and Chevrolet truck drums, on like autozone website and a few others, they all claim to have the smaller center hole... finding a shop to turn it is a pia... a drum or a used axle would be easier??

8. donsz

donsz

This is a common issue with NAPCO trucks of that vintage by the way. Basically the stock drums have too small of a center opening to fit flush. Since finding a good NAPCO drum is almost impossible, most owners take a new drum (readily available) of that year and enlarge the center hole. A common way to do it is take a "right-sized" drum and clamp it to the new one (back-to-back). This provides a guide for using a die grinder to enlarge the hole. Not much enlarging is required. Works great.