Register now to get rid of these ads!

57 chevy southern IL

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nitro Pontiac, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Nitro Pontiac

Nitro Pontiac
    from Wisconsin

This will probably get a lot of ridicule, but my dad always said "if you don't ask you'll never know." so here goes.
    Back about 1983 to 1986 I lived in Altamont, IL and worked at the gas company. While reading meters I came across a '57 chevy in a trailer park. It looked like it had been drag raced and I think it was blue or purple metallic and had something like Thunder or something like that written on the rear quarters. I think the windows were dark tinted. Now I went to get a closer look and someone yelled "Get away from the car". So I did.
    Now this is 25+ years ago and I should have checked on the car back then, and I'm sure it's long gone by now. My question is there anyone out there that may know something about this car? The location is Altamont/ Effingham, Il area. I know this is a vague description, but who knows maybe I'll get lucky. I wish I had gone back and taken a picture of it or something.
    Thanks
    Bill

2. Nitro Pontiac

Nitro Pontiac
    from Wisconsin

3. c57heaven

c57heaven

and got shot!:eek:

4. indyjps

indyjps

do a search on drag strips in the area, open or closed, search the net there are many sites dedicated to vintage race tracks and you might be able to find some pics. Its a long shot but you will run across some great pics.
    I know theres an 1/8 mile track along rt 57 about Salem/Mt Vernon, also one in Charleston, both are close enough to Effingham that it could have run there. contact the track see if theres any old timers that may know the car.