Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 57 Chevy Budget 4 door build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RaginPin3Appl3, Aug 5, 2017.

1. RMONTY

RMONTY

;)

flatford39 likes this.
  2. RMONTY

RMONTY

I was just trying to think in my mind what a "suitable bottle" would be.

flatford39 likes this.
  3. flatford39

flatford39

4. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

My thinking using the fuel pump is at least then its less likely to leak all over the motor

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  5. RMONTY

RMONTY

I have a 1 gallon tank off an old riding mower that I use. Works great!

6. Get on U Tube And search for a Guy named Jonathan Winans. He has videos of him starting multiple engines that haven't run in decades. There are lots of that type of video on U Tube Watch a few and you just might learn something.

chryslerfan55 and RaginPin3Appl3 like this.
  7. RMONTY

RMONTY

If you do that, then all you need is a long piece of hose and a way to connect it to the inlet of the fuel pump, the side facing the rear of the car, put the other end of the hose in a gas container and crank the engine over to prime. PLEASE be careful and don't burn down the house! It HAS happened! Make sure you get gas all the way to the carb. Disconnect the coil wire while doing this!

8. Slopok

Slopok

Gas can is your suitable bottle, long piece of fuel line hose to fuel pump, done. Now go hit the easy button!

9. Back in the late 60,s and early 70,s I worked at a junkyard. and we started every car that came into the yard with a gravety feed tank. We them pulled the engines. When someone wanted to buy a engine we would hook a garden hose up to them and gas tank ect and fire them up right on the shop floor. We set them in a old tire

10. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

My A**'s is already puckering.

11. bring on the hot dogs and marshmallows!

Chris likes this.
  12. Grabis

Grabis

Wow......
    They day I bought my first welder I also bought two fire extinguishers. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. RMONTY

RMONTY

Dammy boy!! You had to, didn't ya???

Pineapple keep a box of baking soda and a wet canvas tarp close by!!

14. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Im just gonna have to call it quits for the weekend. I put probably close to an eighth of a gallon in by using the fuel pump and nothing. No sputters or anything. I’m not having fun so its time for a break, a week or 2 at school and i’ll get back to it and get the new fuel tank and line in. Almost had a fire too so i’ll wait until the tank is installed and just use that

15. Slopok

Slopok

Hook the battery tender back up til you get back to it.

klleetrucking and RaginPin3Appl3 like this.
  16. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Throw a cap full of lacquer thinners down the carb [never gas], It has a lower flash point.
    Usually the engine will fire enough to pump the gas up, and it doesn't foul the plugs

17. Budget36

Budget36

Assuming the firing order and plug routing is correct, the timing is off. Seems the "pops" were coming out the exhaust, right?

chryslerfan55 and RMONTY like this.
  18. Yup...timing definetely sounds way retarded. It wants to go. Get some gas in the carb, twist the distributor counter clockwise and let 'er rip!

19. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

yeah, shot flames out the exhaust. the distributor isn't 180 off, rotor points to cyl 1 on tdc. i guess i could try to move the distributor a bit in both direction and just mess with it, but timing is another thing i'm learning from noting. i know nothing about it.

20. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

I jut turned the distributor counter clockwise and the vacuum advance canister is hitting the intake now, almost got it to go but it’s not quite close enough

21. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

I’m guessing at this point it’s a good idea to put fresh oil in too since all that gas was in the carb and i primed it several times with the gas pedal?

22. RMONTY

RMONTY

As budget says....be damn sure the firing order is right on the plugs. It has happened to all of us. You get so close to having one crank and the adrenaline starts pumping and you get in a hurry. Check everything multiple times. You will get there. It is an inanimate object. You SHOULD be smarter than it!

23. Terrible80

Terrible80

If you can't turn the dist. You need to jump a tooth or jump your plug wires.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

RaginPin3Appl3 likes this.
  24. By "jumping a tooth" Terrible 80 means to; remove the distributer bolt and hold down then don't completely remove the distributer but feel the rotor and get it one tooth and drop it back down. Kind of like brain surgery to do that VS amputating a leg by just ripping it out. You are almost there, never give up, when you get frustrated, walk away, clear your head, then go back. You are smarter than this car even though it a lot older than you.

25. chstitans42

chstitans42

Is there not a HAMBer in your area that can help you with this? Seems like five minutes of a little help and the engine should run! Be sure you haven't gas fouled your spark plugs!

wvenfield and chryslerfan55 like this.
  26. ... Sounds like it might be that one tooth off then ...Like warhorse said ... lift up your distributor just enough to back it up one tooth (clockwise) ... If it doesn't want to drop all the way back down ... bump the starter until the oil pump slot lines up and it drops back in ... (glad your charger got the job done) ...

27. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

I’ve gotta get packed up and headed back to school in a couple hours so it’l be a while until i can work on it again, i’ll mess with the distributor when i get home next.

28. Good luck.

If I were close I would be glad to come and give a hand.

Old wolf and RaginPin3Appl3 like this.
  29. yep he is too far away. I amcertian there are lots of the posters on this thread just itchin to be present and work their magic and get that 283 running.

30. greaser

greaser

Yeah, but he's so close... he really needs to get the kick of doing it all himself!
    Go Pineapple, Go!!