Register now to get rid of these ads!

57 Chevy and mini starters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bad55Chevy, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Gents I recently did a transmission swap into a 57 chevy and was forced to use a mini starter due to clearance issues. The starter solenoid has no R terminal. I was told that if I wired a diode into the old R terminal wire. This worked fine for about three days, started up instantly and was much nicer then the old engine/transmission.
    NOW I get nothing but cranking. I have fuel but I don't believe I have spark. I have replaced the points/condenser, ballast and coil and still nothing.

Any ideas?

2. willys1

willys1
    from South Ga

The "r" terminal is for resistance. without it you may have to put an external ballast resistor to lower the voltage...sounds like you may have burned the points or primary wire or coil up with high voltage....I've never heard of diode fixing that problem.

3. HAT DO I DO WITH THE WIRE THAT CONNECTED TO THE ‘R’ TERMINAL ON THE ORIGINAL STARTER?
    In early original wiring harnesses the ‘R’ circuit was a ballast
    resistor bypass. This terminal is ‘no connection’ when the starter is at rest and is +12VDC
    while cranking. This circuit provided +12VDC to
    the ignition coil during cranking for easier engine starting. Cars that do not have a ballast resistor (i.e. HEI,
    MSD or other aftermarket ignition systems) should not need this connection. In most cases this wire can
    be eliminated. If the engine has no ignition during cranking, then the wiring of the coil is going to require
    an ‘R’ terminal signal. To accomplish this, order PN 600 R-Terminal kit or, connect a 10A/250V diode in
    line with the
    MOTOR SIDE of the solenoid. The cathode or banded end of the diode goes toward the starter.
    This allows current to go from the starter to the coil and not from the coil to the starter. Some Powermaster

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013