Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 57 Belvedere 4 Door Gone Mad

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Racrdad, Sep 16, 2009.

1. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Yea, they look like bat ears. Looks really good, DUIT.

2. White Trash Renegade

White Trash Renegade
    from Derby, KS

I love it! I knew a guy here in Wichita years a go that was building something like this with an old '30-something Chevy cowl and some "57 DeSoto quarters.

3. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

Sure they were de soto quarters?

I made one with a 30's chevy cowl and 57 chevy quarters, that I think went south when I sold it...

4. 1941ihkb5

1941ihkb5

I like the idia of the 65 impala taillights, looks good., Some modles were fancier than others there was biscane was no frills and the super sport had chrome tips in the center of the taillights. I know theres at least three diffrent kind of taillights were available that year.

5. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

Awesome build! Any updates?!

6. robleticia

robleticia

She has been moved to her new home and work will resume as soon as Racrdad finishes painting the kids rooms! Here are a few shots of it behind my truck, everyone was breaking their necks trying to look at it while we were driving. There, now you have been updated!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  7. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

Ask and you shall receive... Thanks for the update!

8. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Cool beans! Looking forward to the resumption of the build.

9. This is really cool, I seen a 57 chevy done very similar. I like the way yours is turning out!

10. Racrdad

Racrdad

Going to get some work done this weekend - finally!! Gotta thank Rob (Robleticia) for helping me move last weekend and he is coming up again this weekend to help me get after this project! Should have some update pics next week.

11. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

Racrdad,

I love your build! Also, I know you're considering lots of different paint options, but everytime I look at the pictures before you primered it I just love the stock style panel paint job it had! Please don't flake it all in one solid color!!! I think it would look awesome to do a two-tone panel job based off the oem paint job the car had before much like the lines it had before you primered it. Use gratuitous amounts of flake in any colors you like, but please don't paint it solid gold!

Keep up the good work!

12. volksjunky

volksjunky

Glad to see this thing will be getting some love again ! Really dig this thing, I was looking for 57 quarter panels for a while to build the same type of car, guess I'll have to come up with a different make ...

13. Racrdad

Racrdad

Definately will Not be flaked in one solid color. It might have some flake in some panels. Still undecided on layout of paint and colors but been tossing some ideas around in my head.

14. Racrdad

Racrdad

Well we got a little work this weekend. Rob (Robleticia) showed up early Saturday morning, helped me put up some lights in the garage, hadnt got that done yet since I just moved about a week before. Got the garage better organized and then we pulled the body off, stood it up on the cowl, then Rob finished welding up the bottom side of all the floor structure.

DSC01154-SM.jpg DSC01161-SM.jpg DSC01156-SM.jpg

Finally got some wheels and tires for the front. Mounted those up and put them on. Looks so much better with front and rear wheels that actually match! JRACER showed up for the evening also but he took more of a managerial type role this time. I think he was afraid he was going to have to fab shock mounts again.:D We also got a real good start on the header change. The headers run through the lower edge of the cowl then the exhaust will come out the side of the body and run down the side and stop just ahead of the tires. This will be similar to the photoshop posted before but different enough we think it will stand out well. Plan is still to chrome the headers and the exhaust. It will look similar having lake pipes on the side but shorter. The edge of opening around the headers and where the exhaust comes back out will get some small diameter round rod welded around it to bring some definition to the opening.

DSC01205-SM.jpg DSC01207-SM.jpg DSC01210-SM.jpg

DSC01209-SM.jpg DSC01178-SM.jpg

15. Looking really sinister.

16. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I like the way you did the pipes, never saw that before.

17. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great job on the headers, great idea. Bent the pipe yourself? Can you show us your tube bender? Total trial-and-error thing, or did you use something as a template? Just seems very difficult to get all the compound curves correct to one who has never done it. Damn fine work.

18. Just popped in for an update, looking freakin awesome.

19. Racrdad

Racrdad

Actually the headers are just a set of classic t bucket headers from speedway. I really like the big sweeping bends in the tubes. So yeah, kinda cheated on the headers :D Some days buying premade just works out.

20. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh, I'm all over pre-made. Would never even consider trying that myself. But the beautiful way they funnel through the cowl, I figured you must have done them yourself. Nice score, great job.

21. robleticia

robleticia

I know you have been struggling with the grill and tailights so I came up with some ideas. For the front I was thinking since you knick named the car "The Batedere" we might as well stay with that theme. And I know you really like bubble tops so this is what I came up with....

Attached Files:

22. robleticia

robleticia

Then we move to the rear of the car where you are struggling with the tail lights...

Attached Files:

23. robleticia

robleticia

The last time we worked on the car together you were kicking around the idea of raising the fins a little so the lights would fit, I know some of the traditionalist on here will not like it, but I really think it is "the look" you really want deep down inside! Remember, you don't have to listen to the people on here, build it how you want! BOOM....BANG....POW....BIFF! DANANANANANANANANANANANANANA BATMAN!!!!

Attached Files:

24. dimebag

dimebag
    from Joliet, il

I like it!!! and any excuse for you and Rob to ride round together in tights and brightly colored panties-just saying there Sexy Pants!!!!

25. JRACER1

JRACER1
    from Bryan, Tx,

Love the tailights!! And just the thought of Rob in a Robin's suit...wait a minute....Rob...in. No wonder Rob is so hip on the Batadere!! HAHAHAHA

26. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Lovin it.................you had got me inspired again to start my show rod project this year.

27. robleticia

robleticia

"to the bat cave!!!!!!!"

28. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I'll help out but I gotta go to the bat room first.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  29. Racrdad

Racrdad

Oh crap, not more of this batman nonsense!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  30. JRACER1

JRACER1
    from Bryan, Tx,

I will look in my stash of parts and see if I can come up with the jet engine for you. :D:D:D:D:D

Attached Files: