Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods '57 347 Pontiac - Fuel Pump Removal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blackjack, Feb 3, 2018.

1. I am using a Carter electric fuel pump in my 347 Pontiac powered Modified. I had planned to just remove the mechanical fuel pump and use a block off plate. However, I have heard that this is not a good idea because the cam follower can go walkabout without the pump fitted.

Is this correct?

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. wvenfield

wvenfield

No idea and most certainly don't rely on my singular experience but my 56 317 went years with a block off plate and electric fuel pump. I never ran it very hard though.

3. oj

oj

The ones I've messed with got the vacuum from the fuel pump for the distributor and maybe the wipers so they'd work when taking off from a stop sign or into the passing lane.

loudbang likes this.

4. I haven’t found a vacuum take off from the pump but this Pontiac engine came from a GMC truck.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. oj

oj

Thats good, 1 less complication to deal with. I wouldn't do it in your case but an electric pump will pump right thru a mechanical, in your case I'd worry about dryrotted gaskets not suitable for alcohol laced gasoline and could lead to serious problems.

loudbang likes this.
  6. Premium fuel over here has no or very low ethanol. I avoid cheap fuel for my O/T old car and use only premium at about £1.40 per litre.

Sent from my SM-A520F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. sunbeam

sunbeam

The cam has just an eccentric bolted to the front of the cam and the pump has an arm that will come off with the pump no reason to worry.

loudbang likes this.
  8. I can't imagine the outer race causing any grief with it free wheeling . It gets plenty of oil.
    If you haven't done so, replace the timing chain . It needs it. Leave the outer race off the eccentric if it makes you feel better.