Register now to get rid of these ads!

'56 ford Steering wheel removal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by markoxpollo, Jan 23, 2016.

1. markoxpollo

markoxpollo
    from Indiana

So how does one remove the steering wheel without the special steering wheel puller tool? ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1453588169.591339.jpg

2. You used to be able to rent one from Advance Auto or similar store. Harbor Freight has a cheap one. I have seen some guys yank on it hard enough to pull it off after the bolts are removed but thats usually not the case.

3. verde742

verde742

I put my knees under it and push off my toes, with nut even with shaft and put a hammer on nut and smack first hammer with second, off it comes.:rolleyes:

4. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back the nut off but don't remove it, it may prevent you from 'taking it on the chin' when wheel comes loose.

5. Slopok

Slopok

Pullers are cheap compared to a new Steering wheel. I got bad knees.

6. verde742

verde742

That's true, :eek:
    also they are pretty E-Z to make when ya see one..:rolleyes:

7. 62rebel

62rebel

I tried for weeks to get the wheel off in my '56; that damn hollow steering shaft is a stupid sonofabitch of a design (sorry Henry, but it's true)... ended up working around the wheel to get the turn signal switch rewired, which was my original purpose in removing the wheel. Same damn hollow shaft in my '51, but I DID get that one loose.