Register now to get rid of these ads!

56 Ford power window motor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by the-stig, Oct 8, 2011.

1. I've got a 56 Fairlane with power windows and need to replace some of the window motors. Does anyone know if any other year motors will fit?
    What year or make? They are 12 volt.
    Thanks.

2. are you sure it's the motor, usually it's the gears that cause bind. if it is the motor it's a simple rebuild.

3. No, I'm not sure, I just know the windows don't work like they should (I have to help them up & down). The car isn't running right now and I can't get the windows to work at all. When It is up & running I will double check that. Thanks.

4. Having owned a few older Fords with power windows the usual problem when they go slow is that the grease in the channels turns to sticky goop and needs to be cleaned out and regreased. Possibly just getting fresh grease in there could help. The motors of that vintage are usually flange mounted and use a fitting on the shaft to connect them to the regulator so two bolts and they come out if they do need going through. They looks similar to a small engine starter motor so one of those places may be able to refurbish them.

5. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

I second the cleanin & greasin the "sissors lift" channels and rollers -- [ lotsa experience w them ] :rolleyes:

6. Gman0046

Gman0046

Windows that have to be "helped" is usually caused by faulty lift motors. I just had a drivers window motor that was doing the same thing on my 63 Chevy BelAir that has Ford lift motors. I couldn't locate a replacement motor locally but found a new universal Dorman motor part # 742-250 for $50 that did the trick. $50 for a power window motor is pretty cheap.
    Cleaning and lubricating the window regulators is always a good idea.