Register now to get rid of these ads!

56 chevy speedometer question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lorolr, Jan 28, 2010.

1. lorolr

lorolr

I am putting a 56 chevy dash in my 34 ford truck. I have a speedo cable out of a 66 nova that will screw onto the 56 speedo, but the needle doesn't move when I spin the cable with a drill. I was wondering if the 56 chevy speedo cable is larger, or is my speedo worn? Thanks.

Attached Files:

• 134.jpg
      134.jpg
      File size:
      436.8 KB
      Views:
  2. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

Are you running the drill in the right direction? A speedometer should be turned counter clockwise looking at it from the rear. The cable housing from a '56 is threaded to the speedometer. The cable itself should be the same size diameter. There is a little of the brass coupling shaft sticking out of the speedo housing that should be enough to spin the speedo to see if it works.

3. squirrel

squirrel

cables are all the same. did you put the drill in reverse?

and what does the odometer do?
    and what does the speedo do when you spin the little thing that the cable fits into, by hand?

4. lorolr

lorolr

Yes I have the drill in reverse. I lubed the part of the housing that the cable attaches to and the odometer gears and now it works. I guess it was in the woods too many years, and my old cable could be worn. Thanks.