Register now to get rid of these ads!

55 Pontiac starter question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mattlowe, Jul 24, 2012.

1. mattlowe

mattlowe

Hello all

I'm in need of a starter

And Im Just wanting to know if any other year starters fit the 287 4.7 v8 ?:confused:

Thanks

2. is yours bad or physically gone?

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

55 Dude and I are thinking alike, If you have the old starter even if it is bad you can take it to a auto electric shop that rebuilds starters, generators and alternators or send it to one and have it rebuilt. As long as you have a good drive end housing you can get the starter rebuilt. If you don't have one you will have to hunt one down. Napa shows a solenoid but doesn't show a starter.

If you can't come up with someone to rebuild yours or can't find one try these guys. They are in Yakima, Wa but do work by mail or ups all the time. They aren't always the cheapest but they do good work. http://www.smithae.com/ The owner has a bunch of old cars and they talk old car and old equipment.

4. 55 is odd in that even power steering is different from manual steering. Pontiac starters bolt through the bellhousing up to '64 and if you have manual steering any of them should work. The power steering version has the solenoid closer to the block to make a little more room. Was just covered on the Pontiac-1950s email list on yahoogroups.

5. mattlowe

mattlowe

thanks for your replies all

i do have the original and recently put new brushes and bushings, solenoid is good
    but the windings seem to be shot.
    i was hoping to find an inexpensive working or at least one i can tune up myself and not have to spend $250 on a rebuild,
    any of the ones ive found for sale online for 1956 up show a different mounting

thanks again!

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Call the shop I posted the link for above and ask for Jim. Tell him what's wrong with the starter and ask how much to rebuild it. If he gives you an answer that fits in with your plans stick it in a box and send it to him. They don't piddle around and their turnaround time is good.

7. rustynewyorker has the right idea get on one of the pontiac forums thats what i recently did for a friend and found what i needed, he has a 51' chevy with a 67' pontiac OHC 6/350 turbo and didn't have a starter at all. come to find out that starter was similar to 99% of the GM starters except it was clocked at 15 degrees different and after going through endless pile of starters found a person that knew and had what we needed, the guy is in pittsburgh penn. and has a rebuild shop,sent a rebuilt starter outright shipped for $150! when my buddie gets back to me i will pm you the info if your interested.

8. andy checchia

andy checchia
    from USA

56 up starter will work.

9. mattlowe

mattlowe

Thanks for your help! very much appreciated

Mr48chev I will call and get a quote

55dude I appreciate the info when ya get it.

Always on a tight budget being poor white trash and all. Haha