Register now to get rid of these ads!

55 Pontiac help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nick Horn, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Nick Horn

Nick Horn

I've been working on my 55 chieftain 2 dr coupe for a little over a year now and it's time to put the engine in. I got a crate 350 chevy with trans combo (belly button but super reliable!) and went to drop it in when the dramas started! The sump was fowling on the steering rack so I tried lifting it but then the transmission started fowling on the tunnel. To have the sump and the transmission clear of hitting anything the engine is at a crazy angle which doesn't make any sense.

In a nutshell has anyone put a 350 in a 55 pontiac? if so any chance of any advice?

maybe something worth mentioning just in case anyone else has any good ideas is that the chieftain looks like it has the same chassis as the 55 chevy convertible (with the k member). Not the same chassis as the sedan.

Thanks a million in advance!!

2. You can buy modified oil pans to clear the steering linkage.I have seen self notched pans and is a solution if you are handy with a mig.

3. You didn't mention whether you have a USA or Canadian version of the Pontiac.The wheelbase on the USA car is 122"(or 124" if it is a Star Chief)whereas the Canadian version is 115"(actually a Chevrolet frame).

4. Hi!

Hi!
    from SoCal

Ive put a 350 700r4 in a Safari, had all the room in the world. Is a Cheiftan different?

5. AeroMonte

AeroMonte

I put a BBC in a 56 Chieftan 2dr hrdtp with a turbo 400 trans and had no clearance issues.

6. Nick Horn

Nick Horn

Notching the oil pan (sump) is definitely something I thought of. Forgive my ignorance but is there any reason I couldn't do that? Wouldn't affect how the oil gets around the engine?

I'm pretty sure that it's an American Chieftain - not the Starchief model. Mine has the stumpy trunk.

Thanks for the help!

Unfortunately I'm not handy with a mig at all! Anyone in the UK who could do that modification?

7. topls41

topls41

Some of the mid 1960's Chevy II oil pans may work for you. They are made for a different cross member than the standard ones. Sorry I don't recall the exact year model anymore.