Register now to get rid of these ads!

55 Pontiac gasser, Poncho Villa rides again!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Curly, Jun 2, 2008.

1. sololobo

sololobo

Caution!!!Killer Car ahead******That baby is lookin good , these tin indians are so custom out of the box, as is evidenced in Jiggers bad ass art rendering. It kills me when pontiac people remove the chrome hood or deck strips(on the older ones), that is sweeet trim. Curly, I sent you a pm~Sololobo~

2. Cool project, please keep us posted !

Jigger, In case you didn't you, :D, you're talented !!! Beautiful "sketch" !

/ primerkid

3. solid

solid

cool car, and sketch. keep the pics coming.

4. slammed

slammed

Jigger, that's a good looking ride.

5. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

Thats soooo bad@ss....

6. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Bitchen car Curly. I REALLY dig it ! If you want helpful suggestions on cam,porting,roller rocker ration,compression ratio, etc let me know.

I think going with 4.56's with a 400 is a bit too much for street. minimal hwy. In fact i know it is. You don't need it. 4.10's tops.

is this car gonna be a 4 speed?

man, i can't wait to see this car completed !

Axle

7. Glad you guys like it. I stalled for a moment on this car as I finished up the work on my '54 Pontiac....it's getting painted now (Pearl White body and purple Flaked roof) My 3 y/o daughter calls it the street car and she doesn't like it as much as she does this car.....she is my sidekick/helper at the track and in the garage.

I decided to build a garge, we just poured the floor, today I started wiring it and have about 1/2 of it drywalled. Next will be a gas line for the heat. Both Poncho's needed a new home.:D That set me back a few$$ but was well worth it.

Yeah the 4.56 with a spool is too much for street, this car will only see the street infront of my house. I have been collecting parts for this and also have a set of 4.11's. It has a set of stock 15 heads on it now, I picked up a Lunati bracket master cam. I wanted to keep the lift less than .525 at the valve because the of the heads. I figure I should be going through the traps at 5800-6000 but the 4.56's will have me screaming way past redline!!!

I have a muncie 4 gear but I think I'll footbrake a manual Turbo 400 for now. I also have a 6-71 in the corner of the garage too. This will be a budget gasser for the first year and then change things as money comes in/things break or I just plain need to go faster......hey wait a minute. I think that would make this a backyard traditional gasser.

8. Irish Dan

Irish Dan

One of favorite 50's body styles! What you're doing is cool! Good Luck!

9. By the way Jigger.....I wasn't going to go 2-tone on the car until I saw your artwork. I have been playing with the idea of going Orange on the bottom and off-white/cream colored on the top.....kinda like one of those orange/creamsicle we used to get when we were kids.

My dad opened up an auto shop in 1969 so as a surprise I'm going to have the logo painted on the rear quarter above the trim line. It'll be the shops 40th anniversary, Going with Orange plexiglass windows, no grille, no hood just all motor!!!!!

10. Gas_Tires_Oil

Gas_Tires_Oil

Awesome car! Love Pontiacs myself. I'm building a Pontiac Gasser too. Stopped working on it for a while but started again recently. BTW, I'm using a Wenzler on mine as well.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  11. Yeah right....coming from you I'll take that as a compliment. I still sit in awe of your work...and your garage pics.:eek::cool:

12. Curly is my favorite Stooge.

Oh, wait. That's not what I wanted to say...

Can't wait to see that rig when it's finished. I think my 11 year old, Noelle, will finally see a car on her she'll like as purple is her favorite color.

Thanks for all the kind comments on the sketch, gang. I don't want to hi-jack the post but it did give Curly a pretty good, well deserved bump.

13. The Shocker

The Shocker

Nice to see others that have the sack to build a gasser out of something besides a tri-5 Chevy,or a fiberfake Willys .The Poncho looks cool as a Gasser.Good luck with the build ...

14. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Can't wait to see it done Curly, it may determine the fate on my own 55. I know where there are some chevy 49-54 ? ad trucks for the springs and axle. There is a 55 Chieftain around here with I believe all the side trim you need, let me know I can go check it out.

15. 567trishop

567trishop
    from Australia

Looks cool, love that you left a poncho power plant in it

16. Algon

Algon

Curly,

The Pontiac is tough man, I butchered an original promo and a Bad Man kit to make a model similar to your car years ago.

Also missed out on a nice 56 hardtop, I found it by complete accident going to a show, a little way off the road in an old gas station lot that I just happened to use as a turn around, talked to the owner who lived next door, it was $300 rolling, missing the hood and some trim. Car was sold while I was getting the cash, another guy made the the same chance finding. Lucky mother, the car had one small crease in the rocker from a narrow trailer, the rest of it was unheard of for Ohio cars...

17. Mercury Kid

Mercury Kid

Sweet ride, any updates? Hope to see it at the gasser reunion this year.

If anyone gets inspired, I know the whereabouts of a nice '57 Chieftain. Perfect shape to be turned into Curly's equally awesome twin.

18. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

We should all try to pit together this year at Thompson. I am gooing to run the Falcon this year instead of the altered. Still going to try to have the new engine put in but might have to come with the old engine. But hey as long as we are all having fun.

Jon

19. Mercury Kid

Mercury Kid

Yeah Falcon Gasser, that would be great. I've never been up there before and a couple friends to hang around with would be cool.

20. 1LOWCHIEF

1LOWCHIEF

I forgot about this car.... bitchin'!

21. gassedbaker

gassedbaker

i am hopin to be able to make it up to thompson this year hope to see yall there and have a bitchin match race session!!!!

22. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Curly any updates? How did you end up hooking up your steering? I know you boxed the original rails, does it still have the original column/gearbox assembly too? Thanks

23. RacerRick

RacerRick

How is this car going? Any updates?

Lets see some more pics of the ugly twin also!

What R&P did you put in it? I am thinking of going that way for my 57' Laurentian as its my driver. I am searching for a 57' 2 dr canadian poncho for a gasser.

24. 1LOWCHIEF

1LOWCHIEF

*cough* bump *cough*

25. moon man

moon man
    BANNED

Thats a cool poncho... Keep up the good work... See ya this summer..

26. Sorry no updates, I'm laid up with two bad hips, waiting for surgery, using a walker to get around. No money coming in to work on it.

27. Mac_55

Mac_55

Love that car curly . Thats gonna be sweeeet. It makes me feel bad about the 3 55 ponton posts the neighbor had crushed . Man thats gonna be an eye catcher from 10 blocks away!

28. Disc brakes on a Gasser? Are you sure you want to do that? So what if it won't stop. Don't be a pussy, just press harder.

29. AA/Fuel34fordpu

AA/Fuel34fordpu

Man that sucks! Hope you get better. When you get fix I hope the money will start to roll in for you and your project.

30. skrapin_64

skrapin_64
    from Chino ,CA

Bringin this back from the dead! Any work? im gonna be rolling my 55 out of my dads yard to my drive way and a straight axle is going under