Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 55 Packard Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Donuts & Peelouts, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Thanks Marcus I'll send you a text when i get my money back up, off the top of my head I know I need the taillights, distributor, hood ornament, and all emblems on the trunk.

2. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Also looking for Packard manual bellhousing for a REASONABLE price, i prefer to keep my left nut.

3. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Would a Hudson or Studebaker manual bellhousing work? Can I widen my search for the 55/56 years on the studebaker and Hudson cars for engine/transmission related parts?

4. BJR

BJR

Is it just me or does this look like a 55 Olds with Packard headlights?

5. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

^^^^^^no sweet heart dip^^^^^^^^

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Yes, it does look exactly like that......a photoshopped '55 Olds

Ray

7. BJR

BJR

Found it! 1.jpg

Donuts & Peelouts likes this.
  8. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

download.jpg

Good eye @BJR, fooled me. Gotta love Oldsmobile's too.

9. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

D&P;
    I do believe that you can use parts from the packard mills(320 cid) that were sold to Nash & Hudson, also the Stude mills(352 cid) or even Packards' 374 cid mill. Jack Vines would probably know off the top of his head what factory parts would be needed for a change. & what aftermaket parts would be better that the OEM. Stude probably offered the most std trans versions, but even those aren't common. Hmm, might know a guy or two that has some, but I don't think they'd be cheap. I can ask...
    Marcus...

10. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Packard are a money pit, it seems everybody who has parts for them wants a kidney for them. Alot of horders trying to bank off thier "rare" parts. And with Google now the non car guy will go online to find the prestigious reputation to equal big bucks. Like the taillights, I bet somebody sitting on a pair thinking the above or they will one day use them for a custom build but we know how that goes. Nothing like GM parts. I even thought about getting some GM bullet type of taillights images-41.jpg

But I love the hunt so it's still fun and I know I'll run across a good sale or find and I'm in no rush.

Today I worked on the rear passenger side, scrubbing with a ruff towel and a dish washer scrub ( the common yellow/green one) with comet. (Could not find clr) and I man did it work. I seen alot of the pink/red rust wash off and the white paint came to surface. Thanks for that tip. I did have some toilet bowl cleaner called lime away
    It said calcium and rust removal on it but I sticked with the comet, my mom said I might eat up my metal, so I stuck with the comet for the night. Had to leave, will do more next week.

What do you guys think about a coarser scrub. Like a brillow pad/ wire type dish washing type .
    Very cool seeing the rust wash off.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  11. philo426

philo426

Yes 59 Caddy tail lights are cool.Can you post pics of how well the cleaning went?

12. Squablow

Squablow

I know those Packard tail lights are hard to find, but keep looking, you've got a long time to look before you really need them. I drove my '55 around for a long time with one lens having a huge hole in it until I eventually found one lone lens in a junkyard. Car had both tail light assemblies missing off of the body but I found the lens in the back seat stuck in a giant raccoon-shit-nugget.

The other nice thing is both sides interchange, no LH or RH tail light parts.

A friend of mine recently stripped out a '55 4 door, no tail lights but he might have some other stuff, I can ask. And I know of 2 local junkyards that have 55 Packards in them, the one definitely has tail light bezels, he's a bit more pricey than others but he's got it if it came down to that.

13. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

CLR stands for Calcium Lime Rust, so I would think it a safe bet the lime away would work. Try a little down low and see what happens. Your pics aint showing :)

14. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Sure it was night time when I left so I didn't take one but I'll message my little brother to see when he can send me one. When I get it I'll post it Bud.

s55mercury66 likes this.
  15. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Really neat car! Keep at it with the Comet and it will come out better than you think.

16. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Thanks Bud, looks like I'm going to be calling this car Hailey's Comet for the next week's lol.
    Thanks for the encouragement

17. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Your very right about not needing the taillights now, push comes to shove I got my trust old school hand signals even though I doubt people are going to understand, maybe they will wave back when I'm attempting a right turn.
    I did not know the tail lights are interchangeable, that's is cool and great to know. Raccoon shit,,, man the things we do for our cars lol.
    What if I run across the assembly and not the lens? Are the lens sold apart?
    What other years beside 55. I've read 54 but how about 53 on the taillights.
    I will definitely keep you in mind for future parts if need be.

18. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Any body know a classic car junkyard in Southern California, you can PM me if you want to keep it on the hush

19. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

It's not unreasonable to do some research into making new lenses. Educate yourself on mold making and casting resin. Since they are the same, left and right, only one mold needed.

Ray

20. Squablow

Squablow

The lenses are reproduced but they're like $180 each. The bezels are also the same side to side I believe and are the same from 54-55 through all the Clipper models but 53 is totally different. If you find just one piece for a reasonable price, I'd grab it, sets with good lenses and bezels are going to be pricey but you could piece some together probably much cheaper. I personally think the bezels are harder to find than the lenses, used lenses come up on eBay every once in a while.

The tail lights are my very favorite part of the design of the car for me, I waited a long time to find one good lens for my car, and I personally would hold out for some for your car as well before I settled for anything less.

21. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Thanks Ray and Squabow, no rush and I'll look into molding. I do like the look of the original taillights, keeping my eye on the hunt.
    Ronnie

22. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Ok i got the pictures.
    First here is a before.
    Screenshot_20180320-183240.png
    And here is an after. I was only on it for an hour.
    IMG_04781.jpg

Max Gearhead and s55mercury66 like this.
  23. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

24. philo426

philo426

Cool!Can you imagine what a fine looking car it was when it was new?

egads and Donuts & Peelouts like this.
  25. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

I know, the seats looked to be very luxurious. But I'm glad it looks like this because I know it would of cost me ALOT more.

26. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Looking good. It gave you a good chance to see just exactly what you have, it looks pretty solid. Are the floors in good shape? Like ol P&B, I like seeing what previous owners have left behind. Silver coin is always nice.

27. There's an older guy here that brings his Clipper convertible to the local cruise night. Same color combo and has all the options including 2 four barrels....very classy! 56 fords used a similar color combo and the blue was called peacock blue. Looks great with white IMHO.

28. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

The floors are in great shape. You got me curious to go on little treasure hunt inside the Packard. I'll defiantly let you know what pops up.

29. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Sounds gorgeous, how's the sound of the motor/exhaust?

30. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Was the Fords blue called peacock blue? Or the Packard?
    Thanks Rocky