Register now to get rid of these ads!

55 olds frame X-frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by briggs&strattonChev, Sep 28, 2003.

1. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

hey guys. I recently picked up a 55 olds 2 dr. hardtop for the motor and tranny, and I had it on the hoist today and saw that it had an X in the frame. Im a chevy man not an olds guy, and I thought that only 55-57 chev convertibles had this X. Did olds hardtops and sedans also have this X or is it somehow a convertible frame? Is this frame X the same dimensions as a chevy one so I couldcut it off and sell it? any help is appreciated..........................................Briggs

2. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you cut the X frame out of that car, I will fly to North Dakota and kick your ass.

For what it's worth, that is the way Olds did thier frames through the late fiftys. Not worth anything moneywise, but would spell certian death to that car if removed. Once you torch off critical frame parts, most likely no one would ever want to save the rest of the car.

BUT, On the other hand, If you are gonna hack that sumbitch up, send me the dash and steering coloum.

-Abone.

3. 55olds88

55olds88

I'm interested to know what you are doing with the rest of the car too....And all the Chassis were like that not like the pissy little Chev ones [​IMG] when I got my car back to NZ I took a look under a 55 Chev to see if anything looked similar and was real surprised at the chassis difference.

4. ramrod

ramrod
    from NJ

Hey I just bought a 56 pontiac safari wagon and I noticed it has the same X frame.I also have a 57 chevy 2 dr sedan.The 57 has a box frame and the pontiac frame is c shaped.Thats prolly why it has the x.Has anyone sub framed an x frame?I have a mid 70s camaro sub i thought would go good under the safari.I have not measured any thing yet so I [​IMG] dont know if its even close.

5. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

flamedabone--is there something special about the steering column on a 55 olds or do you just have a 55 olds project?

6. Crafty

Crafty
    from UK

My '55 98 has the X member. Rails are boxed from the firewall forwards, the rest is C shaped. Its a real chunky set up.
    I think the ponchos did use the same chassis - there was a feature on putting a MII front clip in, says it was a pontiac but my frame looks the same as the pics. Feature was in Rod & Custom a few months back.

abone - you need a column ? Im not using mine, wheels, column steering box, front a-arms, hubs, tranny... stil have the engine but its pretty much trashed...

7. Judd

Judd

Briggs
    Every Olds and Buick of thet era I've seen has the x frame.
    Judd

8. I high school, I had a 56 Olds 98 convertible. The plate welded to the bottom of the X was 1/2" or 5/8ths steel! Was about a foot by 18 inches and the cowl still shook on washboard roads...