Register now to get rid of these ads!

55 GM(pontiac) hood latch info???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flamedolds, Apr 2, 2008.

1. flamedolds

flamedolds

I am trying to get the hood latch on my 55 Pontiac working properly -- only the secondary latch works so the hood lifts slightly while driving and it really bugs me -- is there something missing from the latch assembly in the picture?
    All there is in the rad/fender support is a square hole -- is something missing there?
    I don't have a good one to compare this to so any help would be appreciated

Attached Files:

2. beetlejuice55

beetlejuice55

i'll check mine when i get home in the morning. i think (not positive) that you are missing a peice.
    i'll have to look at mine and compair it to yours..

3. Looks a bunch like the tri 5's latch. You might try shims to raise the latch in the hood. You also might try raising the stricker by using a shim. A fender are front end type. Shims usually fix them. You should have a coiled up spring on the other side ?

4. Pontiacres Ranch

Pontiacres Ranch

Looks just like the one on my 56, once in a while it doesnt like to latch, but some WD40 usually gets it to work right. Just seems to stick.

5. 55chieftain

55chieftain

If yours looks like these on both sides, than you have everything. I noticed at least in your picture the 2 bottom levers aren't too close together, as least the lever on the right looks like it's sticking out too far. How are they when the latch is installed? Otherwise the hood may need adjusted.
    BTW these are for an american Poncho, is your American or Canadian Poncho like the Chebby if the latches are differant anyway?

Attached Files:

6. flypa38

flypa38

Took forever to get mine to work, but well worth it! Keep it well lubed, and like others have said, use shims. I ended up with washers on the rear mounting bolts before all was said and done.

7. beetlejuice55

beetlejuice55

wd-40 is not a lubricant (as in oil.)
    put some penetrating oil on it or white grease.
    wd-40 will go away after awhile, and that's why you have to keep putting it on there.

8. You didn't state whether you have a Canadian or US version(they may be the same).I had a problem with my 55 not latching and it was caused by the female part(the square hole)being worn on the hook side.It doesn't take much to make it malfunction.I had a friend of mine run a bead across the edge where it was worn and I filed it back to size.Did this about 6 years ago and it hasn't malfunctioned since.

9. flamedolds

flamedolds

It is an American model. I will see if building up the support works -- it is worn on the one side for sure -- I'll get a pic of the rad support side as well tomorrow -- I don't think its a sticking problem as I had it all apart today and sandblasted and lubed it -- it all works fine on the bench -- just not on the car.
    THanks guys