Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 55 Ford Horn Ring- How is it removed?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 41hemi, May 15, 2015.

1. 41hemi

41hemi

Need to remove the horn ring on a 55 Ford Customline. Don't want to break anything so what is the proper procedure? Tried pushing in on it and turning it but that didn't do it. Thanks in advance!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. Disconnect the battery where the horn won't drive your neighbors nuts and push down evenly and turn,,you were on the right track.

The plastic retainer has three tabs. HRP

3. 54vicky

54vicky

to add to what Dan said when turning.turn counter clockwise (left)

lothiandon1940 and 40fordtudor like this.
  4. 41hemi

41hemi

Thank you Dan and Vicky. We have done exactly as mentioned and no luck. We have pushed a little;pushed a lot; turned clockwise while pushing a little and a lot. It moves about an 1/8" either way. Very solid resistance either way. Any thoughts? Al

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Probably pushing down unevenly. My '56 wouldn't come off for hell or high water!

(That's the lament I used on pal Johnny Dugan. His 16" arms piled both hands on the center horn button, and I turned the ring as smooth as you please...)
    Johnny pulled a steering wheel of a '56 Vic at the wrecking yard. He loosened the nut, planted his feet under the swing pedals, and pulled up on the wheel with both hands. 'Thunk!' (who woulda thunk?)

6. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Johnny got lucky,did that once and ended up with a fat lip:mad:

7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

LOL
    Jeff, if Johnny would have pulled any harder, he might have forced the nut off the remaining threads and knocked himself out!

8. 54vicky

54vicky

I agree with Mike try pushing down evenly and close to center you dont want to bend or break wings if to far out.worst case fly Johnny out and buy him a beer or three after it is off.:rolleyes:

9. Your on the right track. Make sure you go COUNTER clock wise. It won't go far. 1/8th turn might be enough. When you get there, pull up and or wiggle it a little. Mine is tight as heck and takes a little persuading. Tim

10. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

In your reply in post 4 you mention trying to turn clockwise -- as 54Vicky said you need to turn it counterclockwise or anticlockwise as the Brits would say.

Damn timwhit beat be to it.

11. 54vicky

54vicky

well did you get off in one piece?

12. Make sure you are pushing straight down on it in the center before turning, not pushing it down at the edge like you do when blowing the horn. BTW, disconnect battery cable so you don't blow the horn taking the horn button off.