Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 55 Chevy Stepside P/U resto questons

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DBL_NKL, Dec 18, 2013.

1. DBL_NKL

DBL_NKL
    from ?

Bought an old Chevy P/U and got it last week. It's a 20 footer that someone has done their best with in previous years, but needs some real world help. Doors have lots of bondo at the bottom and don't fit very well, and it has a pair of fiberglass fenders that need to go. First question is who makes the best fitting doors and fenders for these trucks and which ones fit the best for repro's?

The outer cab corners have been done but they negated the fact that it also needs inner done as well so I'll need some inner rear cab corners that fit well. The floors been cut and patched and seems they did a half decent job, but could have welded it around the cuts on the underside rather than overlaying the sheet metal as they did. Not sure that I want to replace the entire floor, or just clean up the underside of the cuts and weld them/seal up the areas cut underneath to keep moisture out

Next thing I am thinking is to either weld in an IFS kit on the stock frame which is pretty clean versus an inexpensive chassis swap. Not looking for a show truck chassis and was wondering if anyone has seen the TCI Total Costs Involved chassis to know if they are pretty decent or not. They're half the cost of the better frames out there and as long as the quality isn't too bad then I might just go that option and drop the cab onto a turn key roller chassis. I'm trusting that one of these inexpensive frames has got to be better than the stock frame that's under it now?

Last thing I would hope for some feedback on, is who is the best all around supplier for all things truck related so I can order all the parts from one dealer. I'm in the Pacific Northwest. Thanks for any pointers fella's.

Graeme

Attached Files:

2. squirrel

squirrel

ten grand for a chassis....hmm....

I doubt there's more than one company making fenders and doors for these trucks. I haven't bought any repro sheet metal, there's still too much useable old metal around.

As for buying parts, seems you have to shop around to find a supplier that has what you need. And you kind of need to talk to them on the phone to find out if they actually have it in stock. Just because you can order the part, doesn't mean you will get it any time soon.

3. Catdaddyo

Catdaddyo

Try "Brother Chevy truck parts" it should be some of the stuff you Looking for

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. Catdaddyo

Catdaddyo

I have the TCI clip under my 55 it looks great but since my truck hasn't moved in 5 years 9I can't say how we'll it will work

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. squirrel

squirrel

heh...I had the Camaro clip installed in my 57 suburban for 15 years before I finally got around to finishing the bodywork....I know what you mean! Fortunately, the truck drives real nice

6. hellerlj

hellerlj
    from Minnesota

Personally, I would loose the door decal an just drive it like it is...if it isn't going
    to be your daily driver, and saved for the weekends or the occasional cruise, I
    would just leave it alone...if you want to spend big bucks on it or one like it,
    there are TONZ of already done trucks out there, that someone has already
    dumped just way too much money into and can be bought for a song...JUST
    ONE MAN'S OPINION !!!!!

7. DBL_NKL

DBL_NKL
    from ?

That's just it...this is going to be a daily driver. I already have this one that I built as my weekend warrior with713hp/732ft and a 6 speed stick.

The truck will be driven year round but needs a few things addressed. Doing a front end kit and the diff will cost a bunch and still rides like an old C channel and that's why I was thinking full chassis with f/r discs and coil overs.

Here's the one I drive on the nice days.

Attached Files:

8. Richard Head

Richard Head

I installed a set of doors and fenders on a customer's 55 truck a few years ago.
    They need quite a bit of work, but it's better than having to fix the rusted out crap that is available around here. Also, the original stuff didn't fit really well, so keep in mind that the fitting labor is just a little more than trying to tighten up original stuff minus the rust / previous owner damage repair.

The stuff came from a local vendor, Dreamers Rods and Pickups. I don't recall who made them. http://www.dreamershotrods.com/

Dave

9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

First question is who makes the best fitting doors and fenders for these trucks and which ones fit the best for repro's?

General Motors makes the best doors for these trucks. same with fenders. 95% of repro parts are poor fitting junk.

10. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

There's a bunch of new parts out there for these trucks. Brothers, LMC, Harmon's, Classic Truck Parts, are just a few suppliers and there are a lot more. You can also find parts, new and used on ebay and sometimes here on the HAMB.

Also check out this website:
    http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/ Although named as a 67-72 message board, they have a forum for these trucks too.

My suggestion to you is figure out what you need then SHOP around. Ok, maybe not a real guy thing but there's a lot of price variation out there so know what you want, get educated on pricing and find a good deal.

Here's a couple threads on here for these trucks:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=460642&highlight=new+shop+truck
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=693065
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219014
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154080
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=407080
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=473848
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=649142
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=383744

Have fun! :cool:

11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

one thing about patch panels. if you are not doing the work yourself don't go buying a bunch of panels before talking to the guy doing the work.

I'm doing a car right now where the owner bought a piece of shit inner rocker repair panel, paid some clown to install it poorly, now he has paid me to remove it, and replace it with an original piece cut from a car at a junkyard. he is probably into this little corner of the car for $500.00 by now, plus a 300 mile trip to get the part at the junk yard.

there are other poorly made patch panels on this car, probably $350.00 worth, that were most likely not needed and they were installed poorly as well. one can't really be fixed, and the other will take about 5 hours labor to get it looking right.

12. DBL_NKL

DBL_NKL
    from ?

I just spoke with my body man and he said he'd rather strip the doors and fix them than fit new ones. Fenders he said to order. He also needs to make some patch panels for the inner cab corners and will made those himself.

I'll get this all figured out soon and start getting the parts I need ordered. The list is getting long already.

13. 1959apache

1959apache

I use Classic Parts out of Missouri, they ship promptly, will tell you if something is backordered before your purchase, and are cheaper than most of the other parts sold. (shipping is cheap too and they pack their boxes correctly)

Basically the complete opposite than the Truck and Car Shop out of Orange, CA.. their online ordering sucks, over the phone sucks, they will take your money and not tell you anything is on backorder... You won't be able to get a hold of anyone over the phone, not to order or get a question answered, and the manager there is a big dirtbag. Basically if you are not there in person your ordering experience can be miserable in a hurry. They lost thousands from me just because the manager being a complete d*ck over the phone.

Some of what they sell at any parts place is made in America, other stuff is Counterpart (sometimes made in America, if not all), and some crap is Taiwan made... stay away from the crap made in Taiwan... Dii is a company based out of Taiwan that makes sheet metal... They leave a lot to be desired... you get what you pay for.

Honestly, after working on my truck for 3 years and getting it almost all the way done... I can tell you to just drive your truck and not mess with the suspension and crap like that. Driving restorations are where it is at... this crap where you blow the whole vehicle apart to throw a bunch of money in it is not worth it... I traded a cheap MG Midget for my '59 Chevy shortbed stepside that I have been working on and that guy did what you did.... blew the truck apart, bought a ton of stuff for it, lost interest and wanted to get rid of it..

Just drive it and work on stuff a little at a time.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  14. jkski

jkski

for the front end stay with stock setup,but install a good drop axle there is a fellow on this board whose handle is 55mercury he is very well versed on the subject.if u want a mustang II front end make sure u select tubular arms top and bottom,it is a heavy truck,i ordered patch from 4 different vendors they all seam to be good fit and quality.so next order i went with price,customerservice and tech info.so i order from classic parts mo.and top banana.of cousre i do all the patch work myself

15. DBL_NKL

DBL_NKL
    from ?

Ordered a complete frame today with a narrowed Currie 9", Billet coil overs and Wilwood 12" brake kit. I already have some billet wheels and tires for the truck and this will set it up nice for a body swap. Going to order a I-Didit floor shift column as was wondering what length fit these trucks. They come in varying lengths I I don't want to order it too short. The truck frame is a TCI frame and it comes with a power rack. Once I get the right column I was thinking of ordering a Borgeson D shaft to complete the steering but will need to find out what headers will also fit. Engine will be a ZZ4 with fast burn D port heads.

Any further advice is appreciated. :)

16. squirrel

squirrel

Further advice....might want to find a different forum, you just ordered your truck off topic.

This place is for us lunatics who like building them the old way.

17. DBL_NKL

DBL_NKL
    from ?

Don't get you fussy old knickers in a knot boys. This thread was moved here by someone else...not I.

Didn't mean to insult you by ordering a frame, but if that bothers you, then go grind a little rust off your rocker or post something that contributes less than the glass of red wine you just spilled.

I mean geeze?