Register now to get rid of these ads!

55 Chevy Ignition Lock Cylinder ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cadillaccory, Apr 16, 2007.

1. cadillaccory

cadillaccory
    from Tempe

Hey guys, I'm in the process of rewiring my bel air, but I can't get the lock cylinder out from the dash. I followed the instructions in the factory manual to insert a wire into the cylinder and turn clockwise with the key in, but nothing will budge. I played with the damn thing for over an hour and no progress trying everything I could imagine. Is there some trick that I don't know about?
    -Cory

2. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

If you are trying to take the switch out,That ring around it screws off like a nut,
    They probably make a tool for it but I use vise grips???
    Not sure why you would want to take the actual cylinder out of the switch to rewire it ???

3. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

because you cant get the ignition switch out of the dash without taking the cylinder out.

4. Clutch 2

Clutch 2
    from Maryland

If i remember right, you turn the switch to "on" and insert a straightened out paper clip in the hole on the face of the lock cylinder. You push in on the paper clip while pulling the lock cylinder out. Make sure battery is disconnected. I believe any chevy supplier will have a spanner wrench to remove the ring. If not, you can put a small straight blade screwdriver in one of the slots on the ring and VERY CAREFULLY tap it in the counter clockwise direction.

reagen likes this.

5. Tcoupe

Tcoupe

On all the ignition cylinders I have ever delt with, the key has to be in the accessory positon before you push the paper clip in, you can actually feel the spring loaded lock release, then its just a matter of wiggling it just right to get the cylinder out.

6. primed55

primed55

I've been in this situatuion a few times. You can tell when you're in the correct location because the pin will go in further, you're pushing in another pin that is suppose to release the tumbler. Its just one of those things (like installing a torque converter) you just have to keep messing with it the all of a sudden it'll go...

-Primed55

7. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

Funny.. I was havingthe excat same problem over the weekend.

I was too emberrassed to ask for help.

8. squirrel

squirrel

the switch needs to be turned all the way counterclockwise, on the 55 that's "lock". Once it's all the way over to the left, gently push the end of a large paperclip into the hole, and it should turn to the left a little bit more, and then you can pull the cylinder out.

sometimes they get screwed up from people doing it wrong....

Torkwrench likes this.
  9. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Maybe I bent the ring enough to go over the cylinder when I pulled mine , seems like I do remember having a time with that now,sorry:confused:

10. koolkemp

koolkemp

Anyone ever do this when they dont have the key? I gotta get the switch out to replace it on my 58 chevy (got no keys with it) and was wonderin what the best plan of attack would be ,any suggestions?

Koolkemp

11. squirrel

squirrel

I've gotten some locks out without the key, it is a pain....if you have a lot of old GM keys you might beable to get one to work by wiggling it around a bunch. patience is the word here

another way to go about it is to take out a door lock and look at the number, if the ignition lock is original it would be the same, you can get a key made for the lock by a locksmith, or make your own if you're really patient

12. cadillaccory

cadillaccory
    from Tempe

Also, on my lock cylinder there are two small holes to the right of the key hole. Is that suppose to be there or did a previous owner install an aftermarket type. Thanks for all the help
    -Cory

13. squirrel

squirrel

I have an original in my 55 and it has two holes

14. koolkemp

koolkemp

Thanks Squirrel I am pretty sure everthing is original...it still has the original paint on it even,its been a long time since my last 55 is the glove box usually the same key as well? I could take the door into the locksmith as well?

Koolkemp

15. tstclr

tstclr

Must be ignition cylinder week around here.. I screwed with the cylinder on my 54 Chevy for an hour and came here looking for assistance. I dont have a key but the ignition is in the unlocked position. My shop manual also says to insert a wire in the hole and push while turning the cylinder clockwise. Did that a hundred times with no luck. When I pushed the wire in I didn't feel any "plunger" etc move. Maybe it's seized. Does there have to be a key in the cylinder or is that only a requirement if the cylinder was in the locked position??
    Todd

16. squirrel

squirrel

the key needs to be in it, and you need to turn it counter clockwise (past "off" or "lock" or "acc"

17. cadillaccory

cadillaccory
    from Tempe

If anyone is still stuck with this I finally got the cylinder out this morning. I followed squirrel's instructions precisely and they worked great. Also, I inserted a paper clip in the upper hole and once the key was locked in place I used needle nose plier's to gently remove the cylinder. Took me a whole 5 minutes. Thanks again!!!
    -Cory

18. cadillaccory

cadillaccory
    from Tempe

Well as luck goes, a week later I am reinstalling the lock cylinder to the ignition switch as I just started to rewire the vehicle. The irony in this is that I am having just as hard of a time reinstalling the lock cylinder into the ignition switch as I was getting it out. Checked the repair manual and no information is provided. Any suggestions for reinstalling the cylinder? All help is ALWAYS appreciated. Thanks for your time
    -Cory

19. squirrel

squirrel

just put it in the same position it was when you pulled it out...a bit to the left of the "lock" position. Have the key in it, and you do not need to put the wire in the hole to intall it.

20. Dan MacPherson

Dan MacPherson

the factory manual (page 6Y-48) says to turn the key clockwise from the unlocked off position. totally wrong, turn counterclockwise from the off and locked position. if the tab on the tumbler is worn it will not hold the pin down and it will make the removal very hard. Make sure the tumbler is not worn right where the pin hits it when you have it out. The pin will rise and key itself to the tumbler.

21. squirrel

squirrel

it's been 15 years, I wonder if he got it out yet? :)

22. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

He hasn’t been on the site in 12 years. Probably still working on it....

23. Dan MacPherson

Dan MacPherson

sorry. I just add information when I find it. I needed some and this thread is what came up. You know, turning a 55 chevy ignition switch with a needle nose when the tumbler is not installed is not a good idea. You'll turn it past the stops and the springs pop out :)