Register now to get rid of these ads!

55 chevies with dog dish hubcaps

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Olustee Bus, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Olustee Bus

Olustee Bus

I noticed that back in the late 50's, the 60's and the 70's there were a lot of 55 chevies generally from North Georgia or east Tennessee that had the small hubcaps on them. They were generally tudor sedans and black was a very common color. Some had beauty rings and some did not.

It seemed to be popular to either use 56 hubcaps or some truck hubcaps.

Anyone know of this style?

Any pictures of 55's or 56's with dog dish hubcaps?

2. henry29

henry29

55 one fifty's and two ten's had factory dog dish caps, only belairs had full wheel covers. All one fifty's were sedans, and most two ten's were sedans.

3. Not a 55 but pics of my brothers 41 with dog dish caps.

Attached Files:

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I don't know of it being a style other than the "el cheapo sleeper". It is very popular today especially in the south. I always think of them as moonshine cars. The cheapest, lightest body available with the biggest nastiest engine available.

I'm in the process of putting together a 56 Ford. In stead of searching for the rare expensive options to add on, I'm down grading mine from a Customline to the cheapest Mainline model. Radio delete, heater delete and a rubber floor mat. Not a gasser... but a not so subtle sleeper. When you hear it, you won't be thinking 6 cyl.:D I love the look. People that are into them love the details that set them apart....no skirts and continental kits.:D

5. squirrel

squirrel

Apparently someone somewhere in the world just started repopping the 55-56 chevy car dog dish caps, so I expect we might see more of them around now.

6. xtralow

xtralow
    from So Cal

looking for pics too?

7. CLSSY56

CLSSY56

8. Olustee Bus

Olustee Bus

I agree that this look did relate to moonshine cars in my opinion. IT was an effort to make them plain looking. I do believe that most of those I saw were 150's or 210's. Of course they had the real large rear tires (called ambulance tires back in the day).