Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 55 Buick wheels issues

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VANDENPLAS, Apr 21, 2018.

1. 78DF540E-2FE4-4C7D-BB98-419B396045F8.jpeg Have an issue with my 55 Buick the previous owner put riviera wheels on it with spacers to clear the large diameter center hub. Well , non bolt on spacers do not pass dot inspection up here.
    4B6E90BF-4299-4F23-B907-52C24CFA39B0.jpeg E4C1B319-C6C1-43CC-B362-397B555C9C94.jpeg
    These wheels, theses spacers.

Looking for wheels but not sure what will fit the big hub.

Was thinking gmc 22” transit wheels as there is a set for cheap. But would need to get bolt on spacers to go from 5x5 to 6 bolt.

Or cragers, or torque thrusts , I also like steelies with caps if any one has some ideas I would like that.

2. Don't know how much too big your stuff is; but the large pilot on the hubs of some finned drums have been turned down to fit other wheels and the register hole on the Riv wheels could may be opened up a little. If done right; the inspectors probably wouldn't "catch" you.

3. 34Phil

34Phil

Can do a Scarebird disc conversion

4. Was thinking of scarebird, but would like to get this thing up and running for the season
    And worry about a brake swap and lowering it over the winter

5. When doing a disc brake conversion what master has been used ?

6. They don't pass? Uh oh. I've always had a set on one OT car. Some bolt on spacers scare me more than non bolt on.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

7. Yeah they changed the dot inspection a few years ago to include stuff like this, window tint a/m hids lights in non hid housings
    Any and all lights on dash ( abs , check engine, traction control air bag etc etc) and a few more things
    The “ book” had not been updated since the 70’s a lot of this stuff was in the original but written very “ grey” and up to interpretation, so they made a lot of it cut and dry.

Really just looking for a cheap solution to get me through the season.

And the back of the riv wheel is stamped and the design of it it can’t be honed or bored bigger, sucks as the tires are good and the wheels, although not keepers on that car, do look ok

8. Pics for clicks

E13CBE73-1790-46F6-8431-3A16E84E9250.jpeg

9. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Why not some stock Buick wheels & Special caps the year of your choice ? If the clips aren't there, the repop Olds/Pontiac snap-in type work ... we used to run Corvair baldies on Buick chrome wheels - made the wheel look a foot deep.

10. Would like that but none available locally

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd think a 15 inch GM steel wheel would bolt right on You might have to check, Buick Olds or Cadillac to find the one with the right diameter center hole but a 15 inch steelie and hubcap would look a hell of a lot better than those silly transporter wheels.
    I know 79/82 Cad Deville has a pretty large center hole and five on five. Mid 70's Chevy C10 wheels should fit but they are usually wider, I have a pair out here that we ran studs on my wife's old Caprice on and think they are 8 inches wide but could be mistaken.

12. belair

belair

Great color on that car. And the wheels look good too.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  13. MOTOV8N

MOTOV8N
    from Manitoba

Cool car! Factory '56 Buick wheels have those additional holes in between the bolt holes for that locator dowel on the drum... IMG_1829.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

...same deal with '55

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    VANDENPLAS likes this.
  14. MOTOV8N

MOTOV8N
    from Manitoba

Sandblasted, Powdercoat/Paint, spider caps, babymoons, or full wheel discs ... any choice would look great on that beauty IMG_1595.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

302GMC and VANDENPLAS like this.
  15. Terrible80

Terrible80

Could you drill / tap and bolt the spacer to the Riv wheel backside?

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. Looked into the bolt on wheel spacers

Thinking going from 5on5 to 5 on 4.75 opens up many more options for wheels
    Lots of steelies for sale akso