Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 55 Buick Super Riviera / Whats it Worth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by motion guru, Feb 19, 2015.

1. motion guru

motion guru
    from yacolt, wa

I bought this car about 10 years ago - it was a nice driving well cared for original car with original interior and one repaint since new. The transport company that hauled it dropped a 65 Impala Wagon on top of it. Broke the windshield, poked a hole in the gas tank, dented the passenger door, etc.

After fighting with the transport companies insurance company and finally taking possession of it, I put in the shop and tried to figure out what I should do with it. After fixing the hole in the gas tank and then putting some gas in it, I fired it up (literally) . . . it was idling in the shop and suddenly I hear a WHOOSH sound and I shut it down and I get out and I see lights dancing on the floor under the engine. I have a full on engine fire going.

I grabbed a fire extinguisher and popped the hood and got the fire out - a glass inline filter had cracked behind the carb and sprayed gas onto the distributor and burst into flames.

Carb was burned good, temperature gauge tube was melted, coil, distributor cap, wires, ignition wires, starter wires (switch on the carb) were all toast, but other than that - no damage to the hood paint or firewall paint . . .

I started to tear it down with the intent of detailing the engine compartment and fixing everything, but I bought a 1950 GMC and started working on it instead . . . I ended up pushing the buick to the back of the shop and putting a cover on it and it has sat there for the last 10 years while I built / fixed up several GMC trucks.

Now - I think I just want my space back - or perhaps fix it and sell it - I can't decide.

What would you do? Fix and sell it or sell it as is?

Here are a few photos . . .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have recored the radiator, rebuilt the carb as shown, interior is in decent original condition and I have no idea how many miles are on the car - likely less than 100k but who knows at this point.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

2. fms427

fms427

My 2 cents: good looking car - worth a lot more fixed, and damage easily fixed = fix it and sell it ( or keep it...)

3. indyjps

indyjps

If you're sick of the car and have no drive to work on it, hire some of the work out to get it moving and see if your interest is piqued. If not hire it all out and sell for better money.
    I think you need to get rid of the car, you and this car don't seem to work well together, I'm not too superstitious, but it's time that one went somewhere else.

4. Slopok

Slopok

Buy a Powerball ticket and hope your luck changes, can't get any worse can it? Wow!

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I like it. Wish we were closer. Are you a member of the Buick Club of America (BCA) ?
    Their monthly magazine, The Buick Bugle, has a good classified section. Go where the
    enthusiasts are.

Ray

6. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

can't beat the super models of these Buicks. I'd say give it another try. get it going. deal with the dents later. drive it and enjoy it and reappreciate it. its in very nice shape and great looking "as is".
    keep going!!

7. Hell, I'd sell everything else you own to make the room and keep that. What a beatiful car.

8. I'm in WA and I even have a GMC that I'd trade for that unit. I like GMCs but I've really come to appreciate Buicks.

9. missysdad1

missysdad1

That's the big car (Super/Roadmaster) and not one of the more popular smaller cars (Special/Century) for hot rodders. But still it looks to be a very nice car. Unfortunately, if the body damage remains it won't bring squat until you get it running and driving. That's just how the market works these days. Prolly worth your time and effort to get it mechanically up to snuff, and leave the bodywork for the next guy. But then, once you get it running well you just might decide to keep it after all. Either way, good luck!

10. gatz

gatz

is the hood toast ? (pun intended)

11. I would avoid that transportation company in the future! HRP

12. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I would fix it and keep it forever. If you decide to sell it, fix what it needs advertise it. It won't be hard to sell, there are a bunch of us Buick guys out there!

13. Squablow

Squablow

If I were trying to buy it from you in the condition it's in, I'd offer you $6K and see what your reaction was. It needs work, but not that much, and what it needs won't be that tough to do. But the people with money to buy a nice car don't pay much for a project. If the body damage was fixed and it was in good driveable shape, that car should bring around $15K, give or take depending on details.

14. 19Fordy

19Fordy

You are so close to making it into a really nice car.
    Don't give up now.

15. motion guru

motion guru
    from yacolt, wa

Ok, sounds like the verdict is fix and keep? I think I'll get it sorted out mechanically and get it driving again with new brakes and all the fire damage repaired.

The hood and paint was surprisingly not damaged but it is going to need a new insulation blanket.

Then I'll figure out who can pick and fix the stainless windshield trim, source a new windshield and fix the dent in the roof and door and a repaint, detail the interior and get it sold.

After fixing up a few GMC trucks and working with inline GMC's, that is more where my interests are.

16. 19Fordy

19Fordy

You made the correct decision. Now, don't look back.

17. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

That's a high dollar car. Most buicks you see are three port hole cars. You need to fix that car, show it, drive it, then make your decision to sell it or not. Don't let some dumb ass who tore up your car have an impact on your hearts desire. I don't think that single stage paint will be a problem to repair. All the other parts are at AutoZone. That car might bring $30000.

18. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

nice car , fix it. a lot nicer driving and riding than a gmc truck .