Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 55-60 style fat fendered customs?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by heyitsnate, Nov 4, 2012.

1. fleet-master

fleet-master

the Nick Cozzitorto pickup is a good example for you Nate....first customised by Winfield in '52 with barely a 100 miles on it's odo...then re-done again by Winfield a few years later.

first version had skirts and louvers....second version; skirts are gone ,more radical bodywork ,updated bumpers and entirely new (even for then) grille.

Attached Files:

2. Bill Block's '36 from Hot Rod Magazine, December 1958. White interior, white 'boards, and lakes plugs through the front fenders. Paint is gold.

Attached Files:

3. 1940 Ford convertible built by Elza Phelps from Car Craft November '62. 1958 Chevy headlights, '59 dash, a 348 and red and white interior with "breakfast nook" seating!

Attached Files:

4. I guess everyone else gave up. :D Here's another one; from the April '59 Hot Rod. White interior, spare cover and running boards. Like AtomicKustom said, I think the lakes pipes, bright red paint, lack of skirts, hub caps, etc. were updated from a previous version judging by the grill.

Attached Files:

5. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

yeah that thing is awesome.

6. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

i'm pretty much obsessed with this 34.
    [​IMG]

7. Came across another in Hot Rod (January 1963), thought I'd bring this post back up.......

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      419 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      366.3 KB
      Views:
  8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

In the late seventies, at an antique car dealer near here, I saw a pretty amazing fat fender custom from the early sixties.

It was a mega rare 1940 Mercury convertible sedan or 4 door convertible.

The front fenders were built up to take canted 61 Chrysler quad headlights. It had some kind of custom grille. The back fenders were built up into tail fins with big tail lights. It had Dodge Lancer hub caps and the whole car was painted blue and gold.

The paint was faded, the bondo was peeling out of the bodywork in spots and the top was shabby. But they didn't want very much for it, probably about $2000. For some reason I turned it down.

Kind of sorry I didn't buy it or at least get a picture.

9. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Sounds to me like you lucked out.

10. fryguy

fryguy

Doug Rice's is one of my alltime favorites.

60's style customs haven't quite come back around yet. I think in the next 2 -3 years there will be an explosion of that style. You are starting to see it in the emmergence of the early 60's show rod style. The customs won't be far behind.

Fryguy

11. Something else to reference are the "year" pages on the Kustomrama site: