Register now to get rid of these ads!

55-59 chevy electric windshield wipper conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Slick's Speed Shop, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Slick's Speed Shop

Slick's Speed Shop

Has anyone had success with any electric windshield wipper motor conversions for the 1955-1959 chevy apache? I have had two I purchased burn up in less than three uses. Am shy about buying a third one. May just rig up a lever under the dash to operate them manually.

2. squirrel

squirrel

what conversion did you use? I have a couple New Port systems for these trucks, haven't installed them yet. I have one just like it on my 55 belair, it works pretty well.

Beware that stock 55-57 truck uses one type of motor, 58-59 uses a completely different one. Replacements are mostly the same, but there are some bracket differences, as the cabs are made differently in that area.

3. Slick's Speed Shop

Slick's Speed Shop

I bought them from LMC. I looked up New Port and that looks like what I have. I forgot the years were different when I posted this, but I did buy the right one when I made the purchase. My 54 Belair has one that interfaces the same way as your 55 and worked great for years. I am thinking how the trucks connect to the arms under the dash is weak and stresses the motor. Might be wrong and just got a couple of bad ones. I have been sent two leaking gas tanks from eklers for the same truck before. What luck.