Register now to get rid of these ads!

55-59 chevrolet /gmc truck owners HELP

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chrome_fins, Aug 22, 2012.

1. chrome_fins

chrome_fins
    from Tulsa, Ok

Hey, i was wondering if anyone who owns one of these trucks...a stepside...could take a couple of measurements for me please. I'm wondering how they would look on a 49-53 body truck. Could you please measure
    Distance between front bumper brackets at the frame
    Overall length of front bumper
    Distance between rear bumper brackets at the frame
    Overall length of the rear bumper.

Or does anyone have any pics or advice regarding the swap?
    Thanks in advance.

Chrome.

2. squirrel

squirrel

I don't understand what you're trying to swap.

The frame on the 55-59 trucks is 34" wide from front to back.

3. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

May not have info you are looking for but I use this a lot "general motors heritage center" website they show all the chassis dimensions got different models.
    sorry I have a fleet side.

4. Yeah, I don't get what you are wanting to do. Do you want to use a TF bumper on an AD truck?

5. jdubbya

jdubbya

I think he is looking at using a 55-59 box and rear fenders, with the earlier, 48-54 cab... I have seen it done, but in my opinion it does not look right.

6. Yeah, I've seen it done too and you're right.

7. henry29

henry29

Isn't the bed basically the same as the 54-55 1st series?

8. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Based on the requested dimensions, I think he's looking to use TF bumpers on an AD truck. I can take measurements for you later tonight if this is the case. If not, let us know what you need.

9. jdubbya

jdubbya

Yes, but the fenders are much different... I suppose you could use just the box itself and redrill holes to mount the earlier fenders.

10. chrome_fins

chrome_fins
    from Tulsa, Ok

Sorry guys, I have been out of pocket for a couple of days. What i was wondering about is using the 55-59 style bumpers on the 47-53 body style truck. How it would look, and how much modification would be needed to the bumpers, brackets, etc. I'm pretty sure the front bumper will be too straight for the truck's rounded nose, but the rear might be ok. Just toying around with ideas at this point.
    Thanks guys.

11. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

whip out the torch and a welder and make it happen ! im sure it could be modified to work if you wanted to go that route

12. chrome_fins

chrome_fins
    from Tulsa, Ok

I wish i could! the fabrication isnt the problem, the money is. The 49 came to me partially complete from another shop. The customer has had it there since 2008, and for their 55K, they have a painted chassis that wasnt de-rusted first, a body worked cab and doors which the shop damaged when they found that the truck was leaving, a crate 350, a used 10 bolt, and a heidtz front end. thats about it. Everywhere i work, i find work that was done incorrectly, crooked home-made motor mounts, steering that wont clear the engine, rear end full of water and grinder filings, the list is so long!

So, as is always the case in situations like these, the customer is so hurt by the previous experience that i am having to tread lightly and find ways to ease the pain a little, producing a quality product as cost effectively as i can. So, my normal freedom for custom work is a bit, well, cramped.