Register now to get rid of these ads!

55-57 Chevy script V/c bad for the motor?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cavistyle, May 4, 2011.

1. cavistyle

cavistyle
    from baltimore

I have a set of the 55-57 Chevy valve covers with "Chevrolet" script on them, No breather holes or oil fill. The motor is blowing oil from what seems like the valve cover gasket or the dipstick. Is this because i dont have any ventalation? Its a 350 with 67 double hump heads.

2. joeybsyc

joeybsyc
    from PA

If you don't have any breathers at all, it's bad...you should at least have the oil fill tube in the intake with a breather. How are you even putting oil in it? You need some sort of ventilation somewhere.

3. hotrodpodo

hotrodpodo

That's what I was wondering.

4. Yep, comes up once a week, you can search "crankcase ventilation " and you should come up with plenty of info. There's a few tricks guys do to fix the problem

Good luck

5. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Not sure if mine is working like it should but I put the chrome chevrolet script (no vent)valve covers on mine and drilled a hole in the upper middle (side) not to interfere with the script,and then put a pcv shield inside and the gromet on the outside for my pcv.
    Its kind of tricky but that is also where I put my oil in with a small funnel by just pulling the pcv out.

Someone is welcome to chime in and say this wont work correctly but I have drove it sevral miles without any problems that I know of.

6. cavistyle

cavistyle
    from baltimore

No blowing Oil? i might try and rig something up.

7. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

You guys need air in(intake breather tube and oil fill), and air out through a pcv(can be put in intake)........

Last edited: May 4, 2011
  8. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I think there is a spot behind the intake near the distributor to hook up a pcv too,I have seen some 283s with script valve covers using that system but dont know if the later blocks were made to accept those parts.

9. gasser300

gasser300
    from Ft Worth

These guys have covered it for ya.

I had some of the old unvented 327 vette covers and was puffing smoke all over the place especially at red lights.

Bought me some old stock style covers for 5 bux and put dual PCVs and a filter style breather and eliminated the prob. Stopped comsuming oil too.