Register now to get rid of these ads!

55/56/57 chevy frames same or not

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MedicCustoms, Feb 10, 2009.

1. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

I was told by a freind that they where the same but I don't know for sure can anyone help thanks for your help Tim car frames sorry

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  2. Similar but no, not the same. The '55 and '56 are very similar except for a slight difference in the rear shackle hangars and of course the '57 front bumper mounting brackets are unique to that year. Also, the sedans have the "basic" body mounting points and then the hardtops get another, then the wagons get another and the nomads another yet, and least we forget the X member of the convertible. Hope that helps.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  3. southpark

southpark
    BANNED

55-57 chevy's all had the same frame. Even all the models ( 4 door/wagon/2 door 150-210-bel air ) used the same frame, just different body mounts all the same.
    the convertible is the only model to have a different frame and even then its the same as all the others, it just has an X Support.

4. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

According to Hollanders, 55-57 passenger car frames are the same with the exception of convertibles. 55-56 convertibles were the same and 57 convertibles were one year only.

Hollanders foot note says, "To install '56-'57 into '55 use '56-'57 shackle units. In addition, when installing '56-'57 on '55 4 dr hdtp & 9 pass S.W., use '56-'57 body bracket from '56-'57 4 dr hdtp of S.W."

5. And then we forgot the infamous "California frame" or seamless and the conventional 2 piece C-style frame. The latter being the more common and the seamless frame manufactured in California and Alanta I believe.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  6. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Just put an S-10 frame under it... It'll practically bolt on :rolleyes: :D

7. reborn55

reborn55

front frame horns are different on the 57 compared to the 55 and 56..Seamless or California frames were made at various plants across the U.S.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  8. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

Thanks for all the info i have a seamless frame and was told it was out of a 57 chevy thanks again Tim

9. After the tornadoes cleared out this morning I went to my parts stash to check a few things, The '55 rear shackle hangars are only 2" and the '56-'57 are 3 inch wide, the '57 also has a 1' higher front leaf spring mount then a '55-'56, the rear bumper mounting inner bolt hole is 1' futher in then a '55-'56, and the '55-'56 has an extra mounting tab in front of the front outer body mount for the inner fender support and a 57 does not. All the same? I think not, close enough for some, your call as this is an excellent example of the old saying;

" How fast can I spin this supercharger?"

"Son, it's your dick, your soap! Spin it as fast as you want, same effect!"

10. This is also another example of why you should search on a topic before answering, I could swear I've seen this asked before - a couple times - in the last few months.

11. thanks there guy! we don,t wanna act like marys on here do we?