Register now to get rid of these ads!

54 G.M.C. Truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by poopeye, May 28, 2009.

1. poopeye

poopeye

Can you guys help me out? I bought a sweeeeet 54 GMC pickup. The only thing wrong with it is it sits too high. I would like to drop this thing about 3 inches in the front and back. Now I have seen lowering springs for the front (350.00) but the budget ain't that good. The back is easy (just use blocks). Any other way to get this thing down where it belongs? Thanks for the help!

2. PoPo

PoPo

no the best way is the get a drop axle. but it'll cost ya. Save some green and do it the right way, till then drive it!!!

3. belair

belair

Otherwise, it'll ride like a little red wagon. Do it right-you won't regret it.

4. poopeye

poopeye

Thanks. And drive it I will!!:)

5. PoPo

PoPo

www.droppedaxles.com hes a HAMBER and a great guy. Check out my truck build in my folder of my profile and I have a 4" drop, I think its a little too low for scrub line 3" would be good

6. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

One of my pals is a good welder & he moved the mounts to the other side of the axle on his 36 Chevy to gain a 2" drop. He needed to get new longer U-bolts, but that's all.

Wouldn't that work here?

7. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

I've seen trucks where guys moved the front axle over the springs. It doesn't look too safe, and leaves almost no suspension movement. I'd call it a bad idea.

This example looks clean, but not very drivable. This one was not a driver (note the hanging brake line).
    [​IMG]

You're dropping the truck the combined height of the spring pack plus the height of the axle at the spring pad. That's going to be about four inches. Measure the distance between the top of the spring and the frame before the change and you'll see you'll have almost no suspension movement when you're done.

8. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Go 3'' dropped axle ...
    The stocker will fit on top of the springs for a near 5'' drop, but -
    You lose all but an inch of suspension travel.
    Pittman arm must be shortened or replaced with a '55-'59.
    Oil pan has to be modified to clear axle on the GMC.
    Steering arms won't allow tierod clearance until modified.

9. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Join the AD Truckers social group as well. Lots of talk over there. '54 GMCs rock. I'd run as far away from the truck that OldSub has posted up. I don't care how "Safe" that looks, a good hit to the front and you'll fold over and crush too much.

When you talk AD/ND trucks, make sure you pay attention that the '54s are DIFFERENT but the same. What may work on a '47-53 MAY NOT work on a '54. The axles are different.

Sid Drapal is the man for dropping axles. Get them done right. The link above is his, I believe. I think he's 55 Mercury here on the HAMB.

10. poopeye

poopeye

First off, thanks for all the imput!!! I found in the Speedway catalog a set of Posie's classic pickup front leaf springs that that say will lower the front 3" more than a set of new replacement springs. It is a 2 leaf design that offers a better ride than stock. What do you guys think of this? Has anyone tried this setup? It would seem to me it would be an easier installation versus a 3" dropped axle. Plus....it's a little cheaper than the dropped axle. Again, Thanks!!!!!

11. Yeah, the guys are right. Do it right the first time. A friend of mine had a 59 Apache that had the axle flipped. Somebody notched the frame above the axle, like a mini c-notch but in the front of the frame! It didn't look safe at all. It bottomed out hard, even with the notch. Before I swapped mine to an S-10 frame, I removed two leaves out of both front and back leaf springs. It rode like sh!t.

12. poopeye

poopeye

NO WAY would I do what is in the picture on oldsub post!! I am looking at either different springs, or a dropped axle. What are the pros and cons of each?

13. RichG

RichG

Do NOT use blocks on the front axle! That is a good way to get yourself DEAD! Holy good grief, I think the idea isn't even street legal in this state because it's so damn dangerous.

I don't know what the springs are like on your year of truck, but is it possible to reverse the eyes to get a little drop? There are several threads on here about reversing spring eyes, it actually looks really easy to do, and best of all, cheap:D Of course, no matter what, always buy new u-bolts when reassembling your suspension.

14. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

Don't know if you noticed, but I live in the same state you do. I took that picture of the front axle blocks at Hot Rod-Arama a few years ago in Tacoma. It was parked right out on the street at the south west corner of the show.

From a distance I loved the truck, but some of the details were pretty scary.

15. KKustoms

KKustoms

I bought my springs for my 54 GMC from JAMCO. 3 inch drop in the front and 4 in the rear. All by just replacing the stock springs with the ones JC supplied me. And there an Alliance Vendor so I got the discount. I think in all with shipping cost me $700 or so, but that also includes new shocks, and shackles. I'll post some pics of before and after tomarrow.

16. RichG

RichG

Ha! I didn't notice where you were!:p

I guess they can build whatever they want, but it'll never see the street like that, I hope...

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20 years ago I did a nasty take out a couple of front leaves drop on mine so that I could go to an event in Centralia. The plan was to blow the truck back apart and hang a new independent front end under it which untill this day hasn't happened.
    It did get the truck low but at the cost of driving like the proverbial lumber wagon and riding worse. I don't there is a cheap way to do it right but either the dropped axle or the proper dropped springs will get it down and if you run a smaller tire on the front it will go down more. I run 195 or 205-14 tires on 14x7 rims and they fill the wheel well nicely but do help get the truck down lower.
    [​IMG]
    With crappy springs and 205-14 tires. the photo is rather dark but the truck sits good.

And yes this time around the modular wheels are coming off for something a bit more traditional.

18. poopeye

poopeye

KKustoms, So You think going with springs is better than a dropped axle? Seem to me to be an easier conversion, but don't know if it's better.:confused: Am looking forward to seeing pictures of your truck! Mr48Chev, I thought of doing what you did, but decided to spend the money on either springs or a dropped axle. I did put a shorter tire on (still a 15 incher) and that did help already. Now if I just get the body down about 3 inches, it will look perfect!:D

19. KKustoms

KKustoms

I dont know about better, but it was very easy to do. Wife has the camera I'll try and get the pictures up later

20. ltex old iron

ltex old iron
    BANNED

ive had blocks in the rear of my truck one time and hit a good dip pretty hard...blocks came out along with the rear end...just save up do some pennypinchin and be happy with it later..or do a california lowering kit and just heat up the springs...ha ha..no dont do that..