Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 54 Ford Customline daily driver

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Shane Spencer, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Squablow

Squablow

Assuming you have 12 volt, put in a 4 channel amp hidden somewhere with all 4 speakers hidden, run a set of RCA cables up under the front seat with the male-end headphone jack on it and plug your phone into it. The phone is the radio receiver and head unit for music, no need for a head deck of any kind. Leave the stock one in the dash for looks or a delete plate. There's some great threads on here about how to do it so it looks like nothing is there.

2. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Car is 12v. Ive thought of going that route but id like to have a functional radio in the car. Im not a big fan of having things there just for looks so leaving the stocker in isnt really an option.

Heres a pic of the expensive one, looks exactly as original, bluetooth, 3 rca outs, all audio controls are set through the knobs $549
    image.jpeg
    Heres the usa-630. Similar functions and features, doesnt look completely original (which doesnt really bother me) still vintage styling but with a digital display. $240. Im still not sure if itll fit a car though. Doesnt say. Did the trucks even have a radio option those years ? Heres a pic with the display on and off
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

oliver westlund likes this.
  3. Squablow

Squablow

The first one you have pictured is very nice looking, if you had to have a functional head unit, that one would be the way to go. The other one doesn't look much different than the knob-style aftermarket cassette decks from the 80's that you can still buy at swap meets for $10 or so.

If you find an old radio delete dash insert, you can re-cut a radio hole into it to any dimensions you want to make it look like a factory install, then all you need to find is an AM/FM radio with some chrome on it that looks period-ish.

4. Hell I took the easiest route possible...I bout a Cambridge sound ootz speaker for a hundred bucks off Amazon...Battery last for hours, loud enough to hear in my ragtop, plug in an aux cord, or a jump drive and go to town..I like original radios in cars...

5. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

The second one is really similar to the retrosound radio that everyone uses. The retro sounds has bluetooth and some other features that are nice as well as the same L,R and Sub outputs. Has anyone gone with a retrosound in ine if there rides

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Got the drop n stop disc conversion in the mail. Super nice kit. Got the master cylinder and prop valve as well, and the dust shields and calipers came painted which was nice
    image.jpeg

Hunter73 likes this.
  7. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Got the t-5 adapter in the mail today from modern driveline, its aluminum so its super light for how thick it is
    image.jpeg

8. Nvr_Enuf_Tyme

Nvr_Enuf_Tyme
    from N. Texas

That '54 happens to belong to a buddy of mine that use to live in Texas (Dallas). But he's moved up to Oregon with the family about 1-1.5 yr. that photo was taken about 2 years ago at Lone Star Round Up. Not sure if he's on here though.

9. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

I know the thread is slow moving but were really trying to buckle down and get my buddys C10 done and outta my shop. Im dying to tear into this car. In the meantime im stacking parts so everythings ready to roll when the time comes

Full front end rebuild kit arrived. Tie rod ends, all ball joints, all control arm bushings, swaybar bushings and end links, bump stops etc etc
    image.jpeg

Im also looking for a mercury monterey steering wheel 53-4 if anyone knows of one. The stock wheel is ok but the horn ring has a strange angle im not a fan of and its just a tad bland for the custom interior im planning
    image.jpeg

And lastly im debating my wheel tire setup. Im a HUGE fan of the caddy sombrero caps. There pricey but so are chrome steelies. Plus i also like the idea of being able to run different caps or trim ring combos and also have endless paint options with plain steelies. Heres a quick photoshop. Chrome steelies look great, but the caddy caps are growing on me fast
    image.jpeg

10. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

11. 54vicky

54vicky

caption says 54 caps they are 57 I know nitpicking.but thats how false truths start

verde742 likes this.
  12. 55Deso

55Deso
    from Wyoming

While I personally love chrome steelies, I don't think you can go wrong either way, it's going to be a sweet looking ride regardless.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

I like those caps too jeff, thats another option for sure. Sombreros are really catching my eye though. Heres jimmy vaughans
    image.jpeg

Von Brush, HOTRODPRIMER and Hunter73 like this.
  14. teejay99

teejay99

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. teejay99

teejay99

Here's another Customline , a 53 , little different paint scheme but nice .
    53 ford customline.jpg

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  16. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Ordered a mini high torque starter from robbmcperformance. Super nice unit, forgot to snap a pic of it though. Also got a small 2" tach from classic industries that had a similar look to the clock with the black face and brushed center behind the needle

image.jpeg

oliver westlund and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  17. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Small updates. Got the starter in, super nice unit. My phone died before i got a pic of the new one but heres a pic of the old unit

image.jpeg

New starter is much quieter and quicker starts. Highly recommend it

Placed a big order from dennis carpenter. A ton of rubber for windows, tail light and front signal gaskets and lenses, new emblems, door handles. A bunch of misc stuff. I threw on some of the stuff before we hit the mobtown greaseball car show in Baltimore. Heres a few pics before my phone died

image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

Got some other parts on too but no pictures. Heres a shot of the c10 thats occupying my shop. Almost finished, got the motor back in it last night. Cant wait to get on the 54

image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

oliver westlund likes this.
  18. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

19. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Yes, it sucks.

20. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

21. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Yes, we used the rope method, and liberally applied butyl to the channel to seal it up. The biggest PITA is getting all the trim set in the rubber and then installing the glass as a whole unit. We smacked the windshield around like it owed us money to get it to finally seat in there. IMHO, it's a 2 person job because you'll need to put a fair amount of pressure on the glass to get it in, and it's hard to do that when you're manning the rope

22. I WOULD FLAKE THE ROOF. I FLAKED THE ROOF ON MY 57 NOMAD AND THAT STARTED A WHOLE ARRAY OF CUSTOM PAINT WORK.

23. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

I was heavily considering a flaked panel style paint job if i went with the chrome steelies, but i just got a set of caddy sombrero caps so the flaked roof would kinda clash with the earlier caddy cap style

24. I have a 53 sunliner with 7.10 Firestone on it and 3" blocks. To get the rear tire off I unbolt bottom of shock then jack one side up. Works well but you have to use a floor jack to get it high enough

25. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Can anyone tell me if a 49-50 ford wheel will work on a 54 steering shaft? I believe the stopped using keyed shafts in 48, and the 49 and newer wheels are splined. Can anyone verify this?

26. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

27. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

You may want to start a separate tech thread to get that answer.

28. Replacing the windshield is a nightmare,I did basically the same thing Joe did,and there was 3 of us,we palm slapped that windshield silly and my hands were sore for days.

If I had it to do over I would let a pro install it. HRP

29. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

You have a great thread going here. I'll have to to follow along.

30. @GreenGrenade I can check my '50 tomorrow and see if I can tell. I think you're right though. What is the steering wheel you're wanting to put on? If it's a 50 and doesn't work, I'll take it off your hands :D