Register now to get rid of these ads!

54 Ford - Brake master cyl. question?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazy Legs, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs

Hey all,
    I'm curious to find out what master cylinder can be put in place of the ol treadal vac master cylinder on a 54 Ford. (BTW It still has all drum brakes)

Is there one out there that can be a direct bolt on?

Thanks in advance!

2. No Plan

No Plan

TTT. Come on, somebody help the guy out. He just found / bought an early custom; 54 Ford ht. w/ 53 Lincoln extended 1/4's, continental kit, & 52-54 Merc front bumper. It has no engine or trans or master cylinder. He'll post pics soon.

3. I have a vaccum power brake booster from a 56 Oldsmobile in mine. Go to the 52-56 Social Group and ask the guys in there. You will come away with more information then you need but they are a great bunch of guys and have all the answers to any question that you will have about your 54.

4. LostHope

LostHope

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011

5. If it's on the firewall, a later one like for a Mustang should bolt right on - that bolt pattern is the same - may have to mess with the pushrod length though.

If it's under the floor, I would get a hanging pedal and convert it just for ease of service and bleeding it and so on, but that's a personal preference.

6. thesupersized

thesupersized

get a stock 54 ford/merc non-power master cylinder, should bolt on. might need the non-power brake pedal rod, not sure.

7. LostHope

LostHope

make sure you join the social group and do a intro and post pictures of your ride...there a great bunch of people there and tons of info..when your in the social group area use the search function there for ?'s and most likely youll get the answers..im gonna do the autozone master cylinder swap its cheap and sounds easy..until i can afford the disc brake swap...and heres a cheap easy way to lower your front end if you want check this out before you go cutting or heating your coils..http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?do=discuss&group=&discussionid=10001

8. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs

Sounds great & thanks for the links! I'll get some better pics of my 54 project & post'em soon