Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 54 Chrysler Windsor wagon looking for an engine

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by bgthegreat, Aug 25, 2022.

1. bgthegreat

bgthegreat

I have a 54 Windsor wagon that has the Spitfire flat head in it. I need something that will work on the interstates and dependable. The 54 New Yorker had a hemi in it, I think the hemi would be a nice fit in my Windsor. The Windsor had a limb out of an oak tree on my property land on the roof. So, I don't think it is a candidate for a restoration, but a good dependable cruiser.
    I need to start looking for an engine. I want to keep it Mopar. I like what hot rodders are doing with the modern hemi.
    What should I be looking for? I have a 440 in a 65 and have owned 383. I like both. I usually get something low milage from the pick and pull yard.

john walker likes this.
  2. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

Get a 90s 360 Magnum, then carburate it. They run good, have over 300 horsepower, and are cheap.

bgthegreat and das858 like this.
  3. Most Mopar engines except the Hemi, early wedge, and OT 340 motors are fairly easy to find and cheap.

bgthegreat likes this.
  4. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

It's hard to go wrong with the B/RB engine family, in basically any iteration. Huge torque, incredibly strong, reasonably priced and readily available parts.... really hard to do better

bgthegreat, das858 and 73RR like this.

5. 73RR

73RR

The LA series will likely be the easiest fit. The 70-73 A-body LA driver side exhaust manifold usually clears the steering shaft. I have one if you can't source one.
    The B&RB oil filter will probably need to be a remote due to the front crossmember.
    Your inner fender panels will need some work.
    The rear axle will need to be replaced, here are some numbers you can compare to: https://www.qualityengineeredcomponents.com/?page_id=1023

bgthegreat likes this.
  6. Slopok

Slopok

@flynbrian48 Maybe he can add some advice, been there, done that?

bgthegreat likes this.
  7. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

Cool car. While you mention the engine, you do not say anything about what transmission you have or wish to use.
    If you had a R10 overdrive transmission, the ol 6 cylinder would do or at least get you by.

Just my opinion, I think I would be looking for a donor vehicle & not just a donor engine.
    I like the idea of a 360 .... plentiful & reasonably priced.

I think I would be looking for a 90's Dakota pickup. This depends on the width of your 1954 rear end.
    My 49 pickup the Dakota would be a easy swap.
    If your 54 windsor is wider you need to keep that in mind when searching for a donor.

Any motor you choose, will likely need to change transmission also. Is your current E-brake on the transmission? Now you need to take care of that, some old Mopar's have some strange U-joints .... You may have to build a custom drive line. While the rear end may be fine, it is 70 years old ... Brake drums are almost unobtainable.

Only suggesting a proper donor vehicle you will have engine, transmission, drive line, modern rear end, E-brake cables & all the brackets from the frame to make it work ....
    A Dakota truck that had a Oak limb fall on the cab & smash all the windows, would be a cheap donor.

bgthegreat likes this.
  8. bgthegreat

bgthegreat

upload_2022-8-25_16-59-37.jpeg
    Thought you would appreciate a picture of my old ride. This is at least 10 years ago. Lot's of metal work done before the limb hit the roof. Drove it home 15 years ago. Cancer, hurricane and retirement has cost some time. Had to rebuild my home on the coast for 3 years because of Florence. Cancer took several years out of me.

vtx1800, 40two and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  9. 73RR

73RR

...take care of yourself first, cars will wait......

bgthegreat likes this.
  10. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Damn trees

11. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

3F048AD4-A46E-40F9-B502-270240878FE2.png a few years ago jay leno checked out a 52 chrysler wagon with a desoto front clip. late model mopar drivetrain. nice. 2015.

51 mercules and bgthegreat like this.
  12. gene-koning

gene-koning

I've done a few Dakota chassis swaps. The people that tell you chassis swaps are easy are lying to you, have never done one, or have done so many, they forgot how the first one went. They are a simple way to upgrade, but not easy. Fabrication skills are required.

In my opinion, swapping in the drivetrain from a donor would be a better move then a chassis swap. You need a motor, transmission, probably a new radiator, rear axle, e brake system and a wiring up date (probably). Then you probably want to add a front disc brake conversion. A donor vehicle having most of those parts being good is the cheapest way to build a car. A Dakota rear axle may not be wide enough to clear the inner fenders on that wagon.

A stock modern 318 has as much power as a stock early Hemi. My son had a 54 Chrysler 2 door with the 331 4 bbl Hemi, it was 205 HP and was rated as one of the highest HP production cars in 54. Blinding power it was not.

A modern Mopar magnum small block with an OD auto trans and a 3:23 or 3:55 rear gear would have plenty of power to drive the interstate and the OD would provide decent fuel economy. EFI is more difficult to wire, but probably cheaper then converting a modern drive train to carb and ignition systems (they don't like EFI here).

The old wagon will be a fun cruiser. My son & his family enjoy his 57 Dodge wagon. Gene

Dak Rat and bgthegreat like this.
  13. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

35CB5523-7969-4CCB-94EB-F3731FF66F47.jpeg
    I do, but it'll get axed. I'll send him a PM...

vtx1800, mrspeedyt, 40two and 2 others like this.
  14. bgthegreat

bgthegreat

What a beautiful ride! You have lite the fuse on my 54 Chrysler. I hope when I am finished, our paths will cross someday. Thank you again. Boyd

flynbrian48 likes this.
  15. bgthegreat

bgthegreat

Since I am working on a budget, I am leaning toward the front clip from a Dodge Dakota, Ram, Durango or Jeep Grand Cherokee 1998 to 2003. Where can I find the hub-to-hub measurements for these? I could order shop manuals or stumble around the pick and pull lots for days, but there must be a reference guide to get this info. They may all be the same as far as I know, since they are using the same engine in all of these cars and trucks. By the way, my 54 Windsor wagon measures 56 1/2 inches hub to hub.