Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 54 chevy trans went south needs some advice on a 5-speed swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by saints, Feb 26, 2014.

1. saints

saints

[​IMG]
    pic of the carnage
    Need some help as this is my daily driver 54 bel-air …. Trans grenaded on me so I have to act quickly. I would like to keep my newly rebuilt 235 and put a s-10 5 speed in with a 86 thru 93 s-10 blazer 4x4 in. Time is a factor here as this is my only car so what am I in for here. Is this just a bolt up thing or am I going to have to do customizing. I know the bell housing works with the 5-speed. What about clutch and flywheel and throw out bearing? Are they the same 54 or s-10. Also will the cross member on the 54 work for the 5 speed? Since it’s a s-10 trans and rear I can only assume I could use a drive shaft out of a s-10 and have it shortened. I know Im needy and will research but just need info quick so I can get my beloved car back on the road. Also will the emergency brake and brake lines and 54 master cylinder accept the new s-10 rear or will I have to upgrade my booster?
    Thanks for all the help ill post pics when I start the process

2. Leebo!

Leebo!
    from Yale OK

PM member Chato0824

He had a S10 fice speed in his 54. My dad ended up buying it from him, but hasn't installed it yet. Maybe he can help

3. Leebo!

Leebo!
    from Yale OK

Cool, also just noticed you are from Owasso. You new to the area? I run with the Agitators CC out of Tulsa.

4. saints

saints

No not new just been laying low and getting some learning. thanks ill pm him

5. I think you'll need a truck bell housing. I had one in my 53 and I had to space the tranny out about 1/8" to keep the input shaft from digging into the crank. I drove it like that until I sold i, no problems.

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is no way to use the 4x4 transmission, unless you have a big stack of cash and a machinist friend, or are a machinist.

You would need a S10 T5 2wd transmission and an adapter. Both are fairly easy to find.

Here's the adapter that I use: http://www.hotrodworks.com/catalog/...-n-2100-t5-trans-to-1949-1954-chevy-cars.html

You would use the S10 clutch disc, pressure plate, and throwout bearing. Flywheel remains as original, but have it machined flat, for longer life and better grip.

You can use your stock master cylinder, so long as you don't get a disc brake rear end, but you should probaby consider a dual-circuit upgrade in the future.

With a little tinkering, you can get the parking brake hooked back up, with a combination of OEM components.

You will need to obtain, fabricate or modify a crossmember for the rear. Any of that can be done. The stock one can be built off of.

You may be able to use the S10 shaft, after shortening.

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The side mounts are different on the truck bell, so he'd be stuck refabricating those.

The clutch arm comes out if the bell housing in a different place on the truck bell, necessitating some serious geometry work to get the linkage reconnected, and functioning at an acceptable level.

Truck (left) and car (right):
    [​IMG]

Running without side mounts can result in a broken transmission case, as can running without a rear crossmember.

I have had customers bring me both to rectify.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. saints

saints

thank you very much. I may just rebuild the old trans and by me some time till I collest the materials

10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

That is very likely the fastest and least expensive route to driving your car soon.

11. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

I don't know the situation in OK, but around here, I've had people offer to give me '49-'54 transmissions for hauling them away.