Register now to get rid of these ads!

54 chevy popping out of gear?!?!?!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by saints, Dec 20, 2012.

1. saints

saints

as the title states its a new thing the last couple mornings the shifter either drops out of 2nd when clutch is pushed in or just pops out of gear on its own. Is this a clutch thing or a trans problem? but after it warms up its fine just in the mornings when shes cold

2. I would check for slop in the shifter bushings etc first and also for correct adjustment of shifter rods..maybe was adjusted just enough to engage before and now with worn bushings its not pushed or moved far enough to engage totally. just an idea

3. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Cold fluid and a needed rod adjustment.

My 2cents
    Godspeed
    MrC.

4. Agreed on the rod adjust and that gear lube can be almost 60 years old!! I would seriously address both issues before it's too late. If there is a drain plug, drain that tranny lube while it is HOT!, and dig through the fluid with a magnet and pour it out SLOWLY into another container again looking for non-ferrous metals that might be suspended in the hot fluid. TR

5. saints

saints

Ill check the adjustment and which bearing are we talking about may be worn. The fluid has been changed when I got the car last Oct. but may be worth sifting through to see if there are any metal bits. Thanks it gives me a starting point. its my daily driver so I cant have it down for long periods waiting on parts

6. saints

saints

oops reread it its a bushing. thanks

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That was somewhat common on that model of transmission when the syncros get worn along with the gears being worn. The other pieces may be worn or out of adjustment too but I'd be betting on worn parts inside the trans being the problem. The column shift trans in my 48 did the same thing when I bought the truck. The PO gave me the Oh by the way, the trans pops out of second tip but at 75.00 for a running and driving truck that wasn't a deal killer in 1973.

8. aaggie

aaggie

Make sure your motor mounts are OK. A worn out, oil soaked mount flexes and will screw up any rod adjustment you make.

9. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

Usually when a manual trans starts jumping out of gear on it's own it's time for a rebuild.

10. had a 52 Chevy pickup that did this, couldn't hold the shift lever hard enuf to keep it in gear;...friend told me this old trick,......pull the side cover, turn the "u" shaped shift forks 180 degrees, put side cover back on. The "u"'s get worn on one side. No need to pull trans out. Worked like new after the fix; could be your problem?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  11. I am betting that it is related to synchro/blocker ring

I had the problem before...I hate to say it but do think you are looking at a trans issue..

12. Yes, they get worn in one plane, so in theory this should work. I'd look the linkage over very carefully, not sure if kits are still available. The last one I did, the steering column had to come out and be gutted like a fish.

Bob

13. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Per what has been poster, confirm the trans is going all the way into gear. If that's ok, the cause is one or more items damaged or worn out internally.