Register now to get rid of these ads!

54 chevy car rear ends ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Saoutlaws_Gotti, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Saoutlaws_Gotti

Saoutlaws_Gotti

ok im planning on doing a rear end swap on a 54 chevy..... im using a camaro rearend and i want to add in a set of 4" drop blocks on stock springs

what have others done to compensate for the offset spring pins ?
    (dunno if that is the correct name or not but the pin that goes thru the leaves and holds the entire spring pack together)

also has anyone removed leafs to get the cars any lower and how many can you remove safely and how much lower will it allow for ?

basically im trying to get as low as possible with out cutting the fenderwells or doing a huge c notch..... Only because this is in a sedan delivery ?

2. atomickustom

atomickustom

You can only go about 4" down before your axles start hitting your frame on every bump.

You compensate for the offset spring pins by drilling a hole in your axle spring pads where the pin hits when the axle is located in the center of your wheel openings (about an inch and a half I think, but it's been a few years since I did mine.)

Yes, you can remove leafs. Taking out more than 2 would probably make it too soft (more bottoming out).

A local spring shop should be able to de-arch your original leafs. It cost less than $100 to have mine done. That gave me a 3-inch drop, and then I added 1-inch blocks (which is much better than just using 3 or 4 inch blocks for a variety of reasons, mainly handling and looks.)

3. bigsam63

bigsam63

Move the pin back about a 1in or 2 drill new hole in the leaf just did this worked fine.That will center rear bolt her down.4in on your blocks is the max.dont take any of the leafs out to soft.hope this helps.

4. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

3" maybe 3.5"..I wouldnt go any more, unless you do some Drive Shaft Tunnel work and a C notch..and donot neglect your scrub line<-----!!!
    the offset i think its 1.750"..dont quote me on this its been 3 years since i did mine..Its easy to measure..

5. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

easiest way: to drill 1 hole 1.75" forward on the perch. lowering blocks must be narrow, regular cheap ones are too wide. you can make blocks from square tubing. use 55-57 shock mounts and you'll be in good shape.

I bought posies rear springs, they lowered the car and have the pin in the right place, plus wheel hop is much less than it was.