Register now to get rid of these ads!

54 chevy brake ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gabriel Howard, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Gabriel Howard

Gabriel Howard
    from OKC
    1. Okie Hambers

in replacing the brakes on my 54 it turns out i need to turn the front drums. so after 4 local parts stores i was told they cant turn them, i guess because the hub is riveted to the drum and their machines cant mount them to turn. so being my very time to even do drum brakes, how do i proceed? do i need to find a machine shop maybe?

Attached Files:

2. cut the rivits off and take the drums in to have turned???
    thats how all the later cars are done
    could have complications but thats the best i can think of

3. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You need to find a shop or garage that has a brake lathe, and someone that knows how to use it! Properly equipped, the common Ammco or similar lathe will have cones that will fit your hub/drums on the main shaft.
    Bob

4. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I'm no ase triple master, but I turned hundreds of drums in high school without tearing them apart. $10 at oreilly.

5. Gabriel Howard

Gabriel Howard
    from OKC
    1. Okie Hambers

oreillys says they cant mount the drum because of the wheel hub. anyone know a machine shop in oklahoma city who can do this?

6. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's weird, because the local O'Reillys has a Ammco 4000, and does all my drums and rotors, with/without (early/late) hubs! That's what a brake lathe is designed to do. Sounds like many parts/acessories are missing, or..... operator ignorance.
    Bob

7. Gabriel Howard

Gabriel Howard
    from OKC
    1. Okie Hambers

the one in the picture is the one oriellys says they cant mount to turn