Register now to get rid of these ads!

54 chevrolet more door....undoing welded doors?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RoadDevil13, May 28, 2009.

1. MonsterMaker

MonsterMaker

I have a 54 more door and it at one point in its life had the rear doors welded shut.

Has anyone ever UNDONE this type of work before?? If its not a total pain I would like to get the rear doors back.

Its either this or I go search for 2 door doors and make her a 2 door.....

2. You'd have to find where it's welded and cut the welds out -

3. MonsterMaker

MonsterMaker

I figured as much, I just dont want to mess up any of the actual door seams, that is what I am afraid of messing up

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

Have you poped the bondo to get a look at things? chances are it is crap weld that a cutting wheel will cut through without much effort.

5. MonsterMaker

MonsterMaker

Partly.....it doesnt look like crappy weld but I can try the cutting wheel on the small area I sanded and see how easily it cuts.

6. Squablow

Squablow

If you grind all the paint and filler away it should be pretty clear where the welded seam is, then just cut open the welded seam right down the center. Once you get it cut you'll have to do some cleanup grinding but if you take your time and do it carefully it should be simple enough. The door gap is going to be wider than the cutoff wheel so there should be a small amount of room for error.

7. MonsterMaker

MonsterMaker

Thanks.....

8. thewishartkid

thewishartkid

Why would you want to do this? I would expect heat warpage. I'd leave well enough alone.and go from there! another 4 to 2 would be fun!

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You may end up having to buy two new rear doors but they shouldn't be too spendy.

Any way you go about it, it will be a bunch of work.

10. SICBOY

SICBOY

Do you know anybody with a pasma cutter? That might be your best bet, If not go to a body shop they should have one:D

11. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Melt the bondo off with a propane/butane torch and a putty scraper. Makes life easy and you don't have bondo boogers afterwards. Then you can get an idea of what you're up against as far as the welded seams.

12. MonsterMaker

MonsterMaker

yeah we have one

13. its_a_nick

its_a_nick
    from Sweden

I you have got a spare door you can make a template out of carboard and transfer it to the car.

14. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dude, seriously just find some 2 door, doors and go from there. The amount of work will be less and you end up with a more valuable car.
    Make it back into a more door and all you have is....well........ a more door.
    Doc.

15. For all we know it's tacked enough to hold in place and bondoed on up from there. A thin cutoff disc in a grinder doesn't make a ton of heat unless you go at it, and given the doors on these are folded over seams on the door and 90' bends on the body I don't see where you're going to warp it too far unless you go at it with a thick grinding stone the whole way.

One thing, the thin wheels will go fast as you cut, plan to use a pack a side if there's a lot of weld.

The only question I thought of when I first read this is.. do you have a 2-door seat in the car? If not.. I bet it would make getting in the back a little easier for a lot less work.

16. cretin

cretin

Everyone is automatically assuming that it was a shitty job, that may not be the case. If I was you, I would get 2 door doors, grind off the paint, and if it was very clear where the rear doors were welded in cut them out, move the pillars back and make it a 2 door. Even if it was a good job, you should be able to locate the b pillars from the inside and move it back where it needs to be for an actual 2 door.
    My 2 cents.

17. Move the B pillar back and find a couple doors, or sell it and build the A....

18. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This prompted my reply, it looks like it was reasonably well done. But then again I have reading comprehension....

19. skyrodder

skyrodder

make it a 2 door, unless you really like the 4 door look...

20. MonsterMaker

MonsterMaker

HAHAHA now there's a thought Mike!! If I hadnt fallen in lust with the 235 and what I've been doing to it, I would probably do just that!:D

21. MonsterMaker

MonsterMaker

From the 8-10 inch section I sanded down, they ran a bead all the way around, they didnt just tack.....so I do worry about warpage.

Yes I have a split folding bench in the car now for getting in back.....Ive even thought it may be easier to cut the top off and make a carson top.

I've had too much time to think about what to do with it, but have never done a 4 door. Some of you know my old 53 and 54 chevs, and if you know those cars you understand why this one is making me crazy :rolleyes:

I dont mind the 4 door look since its going to be my daily and my kids and dogs will be in and out of it all the time, but its looking like there is NO easy method to get the car back to how I would like it any way I slice it.

22. MonsterMaker

MonsterMaker

Hey Omar, didnt you recently put 2 door doors on yours?? Did you have to swap the jambs or do the front jambs from the 4 door work on a 2 door door??? :eek:

23. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'm getting the feeling here you wish to cut the doors out and re-use them. I'd say get another set of rear doors then you'll only need to refinish the door jambs.

sounds like more work than it would be worth to use the same rear doors again since the edges will be all a mess.

24. MonsterMaker

MonsterMaker

No if I have to buy a set of doors I may as well make it a 2 door....I was just trying to get my daily built on as little investment of cash as possible.

25. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

2 door doors are longer. did they extend the door opening to fit two door doors, or just weld the rears up?... any pics? If you take your sweet time, and keep a wet rag handy you shouldn't have a warpage problem

26. MonsterMaker

MonsterMaker

I guess I should have clarified my question.....I am well aware that 2 door doors are longer. Ive owned both a 53 and 54 2 doors that were chopped prior to this one.

What I didnt know is if you can cut the jamb out and just move it back....will the 2 door doors shut on the jamb if its moved back, or do I also need the 2 door jambs/ B pillars

Hell I live in vegas, I will be keeping a wet rag handy anyway :D

27. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

oh, I'm pretty sure the only difference is length. You should be able to just move the "B" pillar back a bit.

28. skyrodder

skyrodder

yeah i used the b-pillars from a 2 door as well...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]