Register now to get rid of these ads!

54 bel air

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bowtie54, Mar 19, 2016.

1. bowtie54

bowtie54

I've got a 1954 4 door bel air that I am restoring. It's got the 235 in it and the two speed powerglide. So now I have a question for you guys. The 235 probably needs rebuilt, the oil blow off tube is plugged off which tells me it was leaking oil. A rebuild kit for that engine is so expensive its about the same as buying a new engine. So should I keep the 6 (like I originally planned) or should I upgrade to a 283. If so I need a information on the swap. Thank you guys .

2. Even IF you have a turn key 283, you'll also have to buy an open rear, and have a driveshaft built. And a motor mount kit, and tranny mount kit. And custom bent exhaust. And a transmission. Keep it simple: Find a reliable machine shop, and get your 6 rebuilt. If you're engine savvy, tear it down and see what's wrong. Maybe it just needs rings, and you're good to go.

3. bowtie54

bowtie54

Do you know of anywhere I can get a rebuild kit for cheaper then? All the ones I found were more than a grand

Sent from my LGLS885 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

a lot depends on if you want to stay pure to a complete restoration or not. once you upgrade one part it is pretty much open season on everything - how are you going to use it? local or, part long distance? post some pics of your ride.

5. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Everything costs money now days. You'll save money and a headache by having your 235 rebuilt. Or maybe you can find a good running 235 that some nuthead removed in order to install a LS motor with a S10 frame.

6. Where are you looking or what exactly are you looking for, when you're getting the HIGH prices for your 235 ?

7. bowtie54

bowtie54

Just looking at a master rebuild kit, and I've been going around online. Trying to find a good site

8. bowtie56jw

bowtie56jw

check around for a good used 235. post in the wanted section here on the hamb, they are out there.

9. bowtie54

bowtie54

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

looks like a great starting point - easily keep pretty much stock or, Hot Rod it - your ride

11. Like your car. Paint and body work is already done! Cool color combo.Try Patrick's for all your six cylinder parts.

12. bowtie54

bowtie54

Gonna end up sanding it down and doing a classic red and white on it, even though it's the 4 door

13. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Like others have said, I would just look around for another six. They are easy to find and you can usually get them for a couple hundred.

14. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I don't know about Red and White. It's been done to the death. That OG color is nice and not common. You can always make it "POP" more by making the white metallic or pearl.

15. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

$599.56 for a complete rebuild kit on that auction site we all know and love. Me, I say V-8, but plan it out, collect everything to do the job, and you'll never regret it. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.