Register now to get rid of these ads!

53'chevy 2 door

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nvr2lo, Jan 5, 2009.

1. nvr2lo

nvr2lo

I just got paid for a side job with a 53 chevy 2 door body with no frame.It is solid no rust but a little rough . I sold it to my 9 year old son for $50.00 so he can start working on his first car.I haven't delt with these year chevy's before, so I am not sure what frames I can put under it besides the stock frame itself if I can get a hold of one. So any info or help would be great. Thanks

Kenny :confused:

2. BJR

BJR

You SOLD it to your 9 year old son for $50???

3. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

I say that's awesome! I don't plan to ever "give" my kids a car until I die. I might give'em a helluva deal but never free. He'll have much more respect for it and fell like he owns it. Good luck!

4. jamcoupe

jamcoupe

My thoughts exactly:) He'll have more pride and its really his. Ive got a 1951 coupe on a 53 2 door body if that helps.

5. Slide

Slide

Frames from 49-54 (passenger cars only) are interchangeable. There are some differences among them, but mostly stuff that most guys change anyway. The tranny mounts for one thing, and then the brakes got upgraded from the old Huck type to the newer Bendix type for the 51's and up. The "uprights" that the front spindles mount to place the spindle slightly higher in relation to the car (lowering the front of the car a smidgen).

Also, be aware that convertibles used a different frame than the sedans, coupes, etc. I would imagine you could put a convertible frame under a different kind of body, but not vice-versa.

6. you can use early 90's late 80's S10 Frame

7. nvr2lo

nvr2lo

My hope is that buying and building his own car gives him respect and equity in it.And he'll realize how much work it really is to build a kick ass kustom. Besides I am a young father 27 and my dad did some what of the samething. It was awsome to me to be able to drive a slamed 59 VW bus to highschool that I built with help from my dad.It was something I have wanted to do if I had kids.Besides I can teach him how to sand so I don't have to.:D

Thanks for the info so far more is always welcomed.

Thanks

8. tooslow54

tooslow54

Can you expand on that or tell me where I can find info? I've looked at that "definitive s-10 swap" thread a few times and it seems like no one has posted pics or info on 54 CAR frame swaps, plenty of info for trucks.

Thanks,
    Aaron

9. skyrodder

skyrodder

I agree with Aaron, please explain more

10. Why change a good frame. Easy to swap rear end to the s-10. Rebuild the front.

11. RacerRick

RacerRick

On ol' skool rods, there is some guy selling a 52 frame I believe.

Go with the original frame for the car. Its much easier and and they are out there.

12. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

check the classifieds. I think I've seen at least one 49-54 frame for free in the past.

13. koolkemp

koolkemp

If you come across a 55-57 frame they will work with some fabrication, same wheelbase etc.

14. riverrat

riverrat

my dad used to do that to me,but hes pretty much an asshole

15. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

That is the only way to raise a kid so big thumbs up from me.

I got a 52 2 door post for sale by the way, and the frame on this one is real nice!!! ;)

16. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

thats a good start to your story man. nice to see your interest in passing this on to your son. also bitchin first car.

17. Sorry I don’t have any pic's but I do have a 1953 Chevy 2 door and a 1990 s10 rolling chassis. I just have not done the swap yet. I have done some mapping out of how I would do the swap. I have found the track width on the s10 to be damn near the same as a stock 53 54 Chevy car… my plan is to cut all the body mounts and unneeded brackets off the s10 frame and set my 53 body on the S10 rails make new body mounts and cut and modify as needed to mount the front clip and bumpers… I plan to make a custom kick up over the rear end for air ride…. Hope this helps trying to explain in writing sucks im much better at just doing it ….

18. SapienKustom

SapienKustom
    from Merced, CA

Thats pretty cool selling it to your son for $50. Years down the road he's gonna be telling stories of how he bought his first car when he was nine years old. Good luck with the build keep us posted.

19. PBR1844

PBR1844

Awesome that you 9 year old is going to build a car. But i would have given you 75.00$

20. BenDover

BenDover
    from SGV, CA

Tell your son that he can make 150 bucks by selling his 50 dollar Chevy to me. I'm being totally serious by the way. Teach him how to exploit you selling him the car below market price. I'm sure he can learn alot from that lesson as well. Let me know if he's game. By the way, he should get onto the HAMB asap!

OPne more thing, you seem to be doing a great job Dad! Keep it up.

Jeff - SoCal

21. nvr2lo

nvr2lo

We started making some progress on the car, were are having a blast working on the car together. Right now we (or I am making him do more of it) stripping parts off the body to start the bodywork. He is nine and already figuring out how much he wants to chop it, and if he wants hydraulics, air bags, or slammed all the time. He helped me chop my truck and smiled the whole time. Even with this shitty economy and the fact I stopped working on my truck for the same reason , working with him takes a lot of the stress away. Good times.:D