Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 53 Studebaker Coupe Southeast Gasser Build and 1950 Buick Sedan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fiddle Picker, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

They finally posted the win pics from last Friday Night Drags. Stock suspension, full interior, no roll-bar, hard radial tire racing is fairly new and full of Fox-Bodied Mustangs, all Gens Camaro and new Corvettes and LS powered small trucks and other cars. Our class has unlimited engine rules and most are highly modified, NO power adder allowed (although some punks still have fully operational nitrous systems on their cars in this class, oh but they have to promise tech that they won't use it !!) Really !! NONE of them launch like the old Wagon, 100% original suspension not just stock (legally tweaked a little)! I told Cody today, I'm coming after him in the 64 Nova soon !! Screenshot_2017-05-27-18-53-14.jpg

Last edited: May 27, 2017
    Spoggie, els, Dog_Patch and 2 others like this.
  2. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Went to Friday Night Drags tonight, got down to 3 cars...broke an axle doing the burnout. Dang! Oh well, leaving out at 7am headed to Chattanooga to run the 54 Stude with the SNDR guys. Fun, fun!

3. southcross2631

southcross2631

Good luck. Let me know how the show is.

els and loudbang like this.
  4. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

It's 2:15 am on Sunday, just got back from Chattanooga. The show was great ! The old 54 Stude did really well for not being run but twice in two years. I made it to the final round in Nostalgia Gasser with SNDR. Congrats to Russ Costa and his 55 Chevy hardtop that forced me into a break-out run. I'm very happy with my first outing with them. Long couple days, I'm pooped. Time to get back to the 53 Coupe. Really want to make some more progress on that one. Not to mention looking at the rear-end of the 53 wagon to see if anything other than the axle gave up the ghost. I'm gonna take at least 2 days off from the hustle after the last 2 weeks !

els, loudbang and Hang'emHigh like this.
  5. southcross2631

southcross2631

Glad you had a good time and didn't break anything else.

els, loudbang and Fiddle Picker like this.
  6. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Here's a couple pics from Chattanooga. For those not familiar with SEGA rules, This is NOT my Southeast Gasser Build Car (still under construction), different toy, racing what I already have where-ever I can and having a ball ! 54 at Brainard.jpg 54 at Brainard 2.jpg

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    Flipper, Paul B, els and 4 others like this.
  7. southcross2631

southcross2631

Looking good.

8. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Thanks. Btw, I'm not opposed to paint, just don't have time to do it.

9. southcross2631

southcross2631

I have 2 gallons of school bus yellow single stage if you need some paint.

10. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Hey, thanks ! When I get one of those things called a "round tuit", it's either going to be Charcoal or red. Believe it or not, I have two brothers that do paint and body for a living, I have a spray booth and used to own a body shop ! What's wrong with this picture ?

11. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

I have never seen an axle sheared off this clean and square !! Driver's side out of the 53 Wagon. Looks like it was cut on a band saw ! broke axle.jpg

els, Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  12. southcross2631

southcross2631

We used to see a lot of axles break like that racing dirt track with 10 bolt GM rear ends.

13. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Must be 10 bolt thing. I bought a 12 bolt on Monday to build up for the Wagon, but to get it going quick, I tried to order some Moser direct fits yesterday and they are out of stock till middle of June. Guess we are going to be down a few weeks.

14. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Then we will get a look at some progress on the Gasser
    :)

15. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

You know when I started the 53 Gasser, our racing was over for last year, so I was able to get a lot done in a little while. Well the new season is upon us and we are running the same schedule as the past several seasons. Being a one man operation I have to tend to what is needed to race three cars this year and spend some time on the Gasser. Still doing body work on the Gasser which is not pretty to look at and ordering and waiting on engine parts. So there is progress, just nothing to post about. Believe me, I want that car done more than anybody. I am very proud of how far it's come so far. Hey, I sit in it every day and imagine dumping the clutch !! Then I go about my regular business. Thanks Enloe.

els, Dog_Patch, Hang'emHigh and 2 others like this.
  16. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Progress ! Got my steering arms and front engine mount in today. Now I can locate and mount the steering box and set the drive-line. Still doing some body work.

17. southcross2631

southcross2631

Good job ! Mine got pushed in the corner until the shorty goes away. I actually drove it around the block yesterday. Too danged hot in my shop to work much after noon. Going to have to start the night shifts until fall.

18. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

It's hot here too. I work at night so I have to do what I can before noon. Slows you up a bit, just makes me get up too dang early (I'm not a morning person) ! The guy that does my welding has a sick father (recent) so he doesn't come around as much as he did when I first started my Gasser. Family first. I will get this thing done, just not as quickly as I had hoped. Until then, stomp what-ever loud pedal I have ready to go (bracket, index or heads-up, guess I'm a junkie). If I didn't enjoy it so much I could take a year off and just build .....Nah !

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    els, loudbang and Hang'emHigh like this.
  19. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Been a minute. Re-worked the engine in the 53 Wagon, bumped up the squeeze, went with longer rods, cammed it up a little more. Runs great ! Ordered a complete Speedway axle kit for the 54 Stude, in case I don't get the 53 Stude ready for the first of next season. Gives me more options to go ahead and start making it SEGA legal. Never know.

20. els

els

Your car turned out great. very cool.

21. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Thanks Els, all of the old irons are a constant work in progress. Still at it.

22. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Saw the modified internals for my 4 speed today. Took several months for them to get back, they look great. Should start on putting the straight axle in the 54 Stude this weekend, weather permitting.

kiwijeff, els, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  23. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I took a look at those gears myself this afternoon.There's some nice work that was done on that setup. Should shift like a hot knife in soft butter:cool:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
    els, Fiddle Picker and loudbang like this.
  24. southcross2631

southcross2631

At least you are making some progress. I looked under the tarp to make sure mine is still under there.

25. brianf31

brianf31
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I always liked the looks of the '53 Studes. If I lived out west, I'd build one for the salt.

els, Fiddle Picker and loudbang like this.
  26. Cool Studebaker.
    Here's your next destination, for the ole' girl.

Riot Flyer resized.PNG

Fiddle Picker and loudbang like this.
  27. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Sounds like a blast ! Won't be able to make the tow, kinda busy with music stuff that time of the year. Thanks for the info. Hey Southcross, that's your neighborhood !

loudbang likes this.
  28. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Hope so. Trying to talk Tommy out of his trick Callaham shifter. If he won't give it up. I will modify the Hurst from the Harris 53 and make a separate reverser.

loudbang likes this.
  29. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Why a separate reverse?

Fiddle Picker likes this.
  30. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Well, I'm not 100% positive, but I think it's a 3--speed shifter. Check it out further later on today. Seems like it has a 3 with overdrive.