Register now to get rid of these ads!

53 hydramatic behind a 59 394 olds?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oneqwkfbody, Mar 14, 2011.

1. oneqwkfbody

oneqwkfbody

Hey all. I've seen alot of olds posts and I know you guys r out there! Wonderful information and resources.
    Does anyone know off hand if a 53 hydramatic trans (4 speed auto) with bolt up to a 59 olds 394?
    Someonw told me the 59 trans is only 3 speed and to use the 53 hydramatic trans? This will be going in my 53 olds 98 4 dr.

I am buying the 394 motor with trans. Just wanted to know if I should change them out or just use the one that came with the engine

Any help is appreciated!
    B

2. The Hydro has an input shaft similar to a stick tranny. You will have to have the crankshaft drilled for a pilot bearing. Otherwise it should bolt up.

3. 31 B'ville

31 B'ville
    from SE Pa
    1. All Things Pontiac

I don't think I would change transmissions. That '59 Hydra-matic behind the 394 should be a 4-speed, just like the one in my '59 Bonneville.

4. chaddilac

chaddilac

If you end up running the 394 trans.... remember.... reverse is all the way down!!! :D

PNDSLR

5. Vandy

Vandy
    from L.A. Ca

You must rebalance the flywheel or it will shake the enamel off your teeth. Take the 394 flywheel and the one for the hydro to a good balance shop they will just transfer the balance onto the hydro wheel.