Register now to get rid of these ads!

53 flatty to chev 3 spd

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by norby48, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Ok, So this is about real old school hot rodding. (Using what you have and fabricating parts and adaptors). My bud Augie called and has a mint 53 ford coupe with a strong V8. He wants to use an all syncro 3 spd out of a chevy that we've traded back and forth for years. He doesn't want to spend $1000 on adaptors. He thinks he has most of it figured out, except the throw out bearing and fork. He knows that the sleeves are different diameters, but has seen collars for different applications. Anyone ever done this? I did try to search the tech archive.

Attached Files:

2. Andy

Andy

I machined a sleeve that pressed on the shaft of the Chevy trans. I wanted to use the Ford T/O brng so that made it work. I ran it for a while and had no problems.

3. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

The best bet is to keep all the stock clutch actuating stuff for ease of adapting. To that end, the Ford T/O bearing is larger ID than the OD of the input collar/bearing retainer on the Chevy trans. You have two options: bush the T/O bearing or sleeve the input collar - I'd opt for sleeving the input collar so you can use off-the-shelf T/O bearing sometime in the future when it needs replacing, but either method will work fine.