Register now to get rid of these ads!

53 f100 steering arm castle nut size

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chappys4life, May 31, 2012.

1. chappys4life

chappys4life
    from Austin, TX

I buggered up the threads on the my steering arm on my 53 f100 and now the nut will not go on. I was going to buy a rethreading die to clean up the threads but as the bolt is so big I am unsure of the size. Anyone know what size it is? I think its the same as the spindle but unsure.

Here is a picture for reference
    [​IMG]

2. inline 292

inline 292

Use a slide caliper or mic. & measure the O.D. then, with a thread pitch gage, get the threads per inch count. Many times a thread file will do what you need in cases like this & save the expense of a die.

3. go purchase a "thread file".....it's about a foot long, has a square cross section, and on each flat (on both ends) there is a serrated thread cutting edge....there are various thread sizes from coarse to fine.....one of which will fit your buggered up threads....try a plumbing supply store.....these thread files have cutting teeth spaced by "threads per inch", so that one flat side is able to dress many different diameters of round stock...they work great !!!....I've had one for years in my toolbox....hope this helps.

4. Gerry Moe

Gerry Moe

http://www.mcmaster.com/#slotted-nuts/=hs0tr0

These guys will ship it to your door, or ya can find your size here. This is not always precise but 3/4 takes a 1 1/8 wrench, 5/8 takes a 15/16, 1/2 takes a 3/4. My guess the thread is 3/4-16

5. Sometimes spindle rethreaders have a small enough size to fit steering parts, anyone you know that has one?

Bob

6. subdajj

subdajj

X2 have used one for years

7. chappys4life

chappys4life
    from Austin, TX

Actually just snagged one over the weekend.