Register now to get rid of these ads!

53 chevy sitting crooked?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53sled, Nov 23, 2005.

1. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Car sat even before. now with 3" blocks it is 2 inches lower on the driver side. I saw this in a thread 2-3 weeks ago, and thought, that has to be a fluke. Now it has happened to me. What the hell is going on? :confused:

2. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

look at the rear spring shackles, one may have " flipped "
    our cars have a "U" shaped rear perch, the shackle can hang BELOW it or IN it.
    I bet one side is IN-( lower side ) and the other side is BELOW-higher side .
    take a look.

3. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

no, it is not flipped. everything is as it should be. any suggestions?

4. Spook

Spook

That is pretty weird alright. The only thing I can think of is that when you loosened the U bolts it allowed the spring to "relax". As you know most old cars sit with the drivers side lower than the passenger side. Yours didn't but the spring may have been weaker anyway . Once a car leans it can be pretty frustrating to try to get it to sit level. I have had some success with mixing leaves from one side to the other.

5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Get out your "measuring stick" and find out what's different from side to side. Actually you should be able to see a 2" difference but measure from a common place on each side to the critical spots to determine what is different. If all the critical points come out the same then it has to be in the arch of the spring.

6. gasheat

gasheat
    from Dallas

When in doubt, its oxygen-acetylene to the rescue.

7. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

not on leaf springs.johnny knoxville says SAFETY FIIRST

8. screwtheman

screwtheman

Are there new shocks front and rear? I seem to recall you replaced the fronts in another thread when you lowered it. I've worked on 3 different 53-54's in the past couple weeks and every single one had original shocks (or at least 25 year old ones) on them! I also noticed after cutting my front coils and replacing the front shocks that one side is almost 1" lower than the other. I'm hoping new rear shocks will cure it.

9. Diamond_Deke_53

Diamond_Deke_53

I know it might sound dumb, but make sure the spring is fully in the pocket at the top. I had that the first time I did the springs. I re did them again recently and now the car sags to the drivers side and pulls slightly right. just from installing brand new springs. I can't wait to do it all again.

Deke