Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 53 Chevy - Beeping Noise when Stopping

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53CHKustom, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

o_O That shiny spot is not from grabbing it with his hand. It's polished from contact with something when it's spinning. :)
    IMG_3444.JPG

2. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Yes will report back within a few hours!

3. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

I also may have done that when I cleaned some of the oil that was on the u joints etc... I will inspect and report back.

4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Standing by :)

5. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

The drive-shaft appears to be virtually "flat"; there are no angles to the U-joints (???). The leaf springs also lie "flat", with a lot of drop due to the blocks. I don't know IF this has anything to do with anything however.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

6. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Oh yea that's right. That happened to me when I did some work on my 93 Astro a while back and remember picking up the needles and putting them back in. Thanks for catching that.

7. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

I know it can't hurt but will I look like a fool putting hose clamps on the vac line on the intake manifold port? I know some people don't use hose clamps on some vacuum hoses but is that on low vac systems?

8. Budget36

Budget36

Should not be needed (clamp) if both connection tubes (hard lines) are the same size, and you use vacuum tubing.

Your pic of the split tube is not vacuum tubing, as you can see the wrapping inside the split...that's a pressure piece of tubing and probably needed a clamp to get it to seal properly...vacuum tubing will "grip" from a tight fit.

9. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Got it. Thanks! The stuff I got from NAPA is 1/4" vacuum grade hose.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  10. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

Start the car, let idle till warmed up a bit, after a couple minutes gun the engine, hear the sound? Yes you do, it's vacuum and you need to chase it down by pulling and bending all your flexible lines. If that doesn't do it drive to the oldest mechanic you know of and let an experienced man solve it for you. We ALL need a second opinion occasionally, you're not getting real life accuracy here in the netherworld. JMHO

11. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Thanks! I am going to wrap her up today and drive. The previous owner gave me a couple of shop names that should have experience with the old school stuff. I will give them a call if I don't solve it today.

12. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

This is the best part of owning one of these old girls, solving these types of problems. In the future, when you are standing around with friends both male and female pulling on some cold beers, telling your latest old car story, you will mentally form a list of ..'who gets it' and 'who doesn't get it, or doesn't care'. You will gravitate more to the ones who do care and because you do care you will be a resource for them with their challenges.

I eagerly await the resolution of your challenge and await the result!

Regards,

Cosmo in the '49

53CHKustom likes this.
  13. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

There's no reason I can't run the springs on the top bigger hole of the throttle lever is there? The smaller hole causes the larger spring to bind on the idle screw.

image.jpeg

14. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Jeez the steel line is leftover brake or fuel line. .... I thought I saw it all with this car!!!

The end for the intake has a tiny opening and burrs... No wonder the hose cut! The end by the trans was full of something. I took it out and cut a clean end and filed to get rid of burrs and passed brake fluid through.

This also explains why a hose clamp was used up top... Though on the bottom the hose was just pushed in far about 3 inches.. The hose is a bit loose on that steel line.

Is it ok to use it now that I've cleaned it and will put new rubber pieces or do I need different diameter tubing?

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Despite all of this the trans has shifted nicely....

Here's the end after I cleaned it up. The other end is clean because it has a double flare and this was recycled from something else obviously.

image.jpeg

Hose is loose on it as I said before but maybe fine with a hose clamp. This is 1/4 vac line.
    image.jpeg

When I tighten the hose clamp and blow air in with my mouth hard and hold the other end closed with my finger it holds pressure and also vacuum when I try the other way... I don't have a feel for how many psi a th350 trans modulator runs at..

image.jpeg

15. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

I went ahead and reused the steel line after cleaning it up.

image.jpeg

Also driveshaft isn't rubbing on anything its shiny from where I wiped the leaking gear oil.

image.jpeg

16. Slopok

Slopok

Why not try 3/16 vacuum hose and eliminate the clamps?

17. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Thanks. The fitting on the trans modulator and the intake manifold likes the 1/4" hose. 3/16 might be too small for those fittings? It takes a good amount of force to get the 1/4 on the intake fitting. The only thing I can do is find other tubing. I already put it back together and with the hose clamp I believe it should be pretty leak free.

18. verde742

verde742

And Please notice where the zert is, if you put universal in backward from what it is you wouldn't be able to get grease gun on it !!! ask me how I know :rolleyes:

56premiere likes this.
  19. verde742

verde742

I want to know what BEEP is? If you haven't found it Pull one fuse at a time and drive, till you don't hear it?

20. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Yup that happened to me on my Chevy Astro van (I got rid of it last year because the trans gave out)

21. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Thanks It's almost certainly a mechanical noise.. In my earlier posts I mentioned how the noise happened also when shifting from drive to neutral while in motion and while not Touching the brake pedal.

22. verde742

verde742

THAT"S how we learn.. from screw ups,,

never learned nuthin' from my successes
    My wife had my attention with dinner, I guess I missed that post..

53CHKustom likes this.
  23. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

That is very true.

24. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

you can dip the hose end in hot water to make it easier to attach to the fitting. Just don't try it with Trojans.

53CHKustom likes this.
  25. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

I didn't get to finish yet, I will keep at it and report back. I think the 1/4" vac line with the steel line and hose clamps should seal, unless someone thinks I should take it out and replace with 1/4" bendable brake line I can buy at NAPA.

I'm concerned about the fluid swishing noise when I spin the driveshaft in neutral . I hear fluid moving back after clockwise spin at 6-7 seconds into the video. It sounds like fluid draining/splashing into a tank. Fluid was at the correct level last time I drove it and very little leaks from the trans. while stored in the garage. Are these noises normal for a th350?

26. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe you have a driveshaft that someone put oil or antifreeze in to balance it. There are a lot of people that swear adding BB's, sand, airsoft pellets, or liquid to an out of balance rotating mass (tires, driveshafts) will balance it.

I don't know if it works or not, never tried any of the methods. It could well be snake oil inside the driveshaft.

27. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Thanks could it be something bad in the transmission making that noise? I'm going to take the driveshaft out in a couple hours. The fluid sloshing/draining sounds like it's coming from inside the pan when I stop the clockwise rotation.

28. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Nothing should squeak like that when you turn the drive shaft and I would remove the drive shaft and check for it being the noise and the seal on the trans may need a little lube. Gary

29. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

About to take the driveshaft out but I can hear the gurgling draining fluid type noise after a clockwise spin by the pan not the driveshaft.

30. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I think that you need to clean that driveshaft up and paint it when you remove it if it's that shiny just from wiping it off. ;)

53CHKustom likes this.