Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 53' 8BA water pumps for 32 frame?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by kiljoy, Jul 5, 2017.

1. kiljoy

kiljoy

I did a few searches and didn't find this exact combo so i'm hoping someone can help me out. Which water pumps would be best to run on my 8BA in a pinched 32 frame? im building a 29 sport coupe on this frame and want to make sure i have the motor sitting at a good height.

2. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

The truck water pumps won't work for you?

3. alchemy

alchemy

Since he has a pinched frame, the truck pumps might stick out too far. Maybe those car pumps with the bottom side angled mounting bosses might work better. It would allow you to build you own narrow custom mounts.

29AVEE8 likes this.
  4. kiljoy

kiljoy

thanks for the info guys. my motor only came with one water pump and its pretty trashed. i was going to order a couple carpenter passenger car pumps and see how they work out on my 8ba. im sure someone out there has run this setup before, hopefully they chime in.

5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought these from Mike at H & H for my 8BA. Not sure on your pinched 32 rails, sorry. Call Mike, he knows his flatty's
    upload_2017-7-5_14-44-52.png

LOU WELLS likes this.
  6. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I originally had 8BA pumps on the flathead in my "T" touring. I made a front cross member that dipped down and the pumps bolted to it with stock 8BA motor mounts. Getting the proper angle for the initial cuts on the front crossmember took a little care but it worked out fine. I later changed to truck pumps because I came into possession of an Olds Rocket that had been rebuilt with some speed parts at a very reasonable price. I also found a transmission adapter and a set of Hurst front mounts for it. Since the Hurst mounts all mate to '40-48 Ford front mounts, I went with truck pumps and a new crossmember so I could go with the Olds if I wanted. Long story short, the '53 pumps and mounts will work just fine, but they greatly limit some other choices.

Oh yeah, since then I nave accumulated an early hemi with the proper Hurst mounts and transmission adapted as well as the same setup for a SBC. I really don't have a real desire for an SBC, but the adapter I tripped across was incredibly cheap.

7. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

True. I was thinking that only the rear was pinched. Try the coupe/sedan style water pumps. They look like the state of Nevada. You can fab your own mounts if needed.

Go to Speedway and look up Part # 91015594-PASS to see what I'm talking about.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  8. 8RT's....flathead trucks 48/52....53 flatheard trucks had the center mount which continued well into the 60's.....

9. Both are pinched
    rolling bones:
    [​IMG]

saltflatspeedshop:
    [​IMG]