Register now to get rid of these ads!

53/54chevy grilles swaps?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jbirds51, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Jbirds51

Jbirds51
    from Sac ca

Has anyone put a 54 grille in a 53 chevy?Is it hard to do or even possible?Anyone got pics of different grille swaps for those years?maybe olds or buick or even wilder??

2. Leebo!

Leebo!
    from Yale OK

It would be much easier if you have the front sheet metal with the corresponding grille. They are a little different with 53 and 54, but not by much.

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if you are building a custom it is just a matter of your ability to fabricate and "figger" things out.

if you want it to look original almost everything has to be changed but the radiator support and a few brackets... even the inner fenderwells are different, not sure about the hood.

4. Keith English

Keith English

Well I put one in my 53 because I like the look much better, ans all I had to do was take a cut off wheel and trim the inside of the 54 grile to match the 53 opening because it was much smaller

5. atomickustom

atomickustom

How about this? I used a repro '53-57 Corvette grill and made the grill surround out of sheetmetal. The turn signals are the stock '53 Chevy, mounted into polished 2-cup stainless steel measuring cups that I cut out to fit around the grill bar.

Attached Files:

6. Awesome!

There are tons of good grille options for these cars...I know it's not a '53, but McPhail's car is one that comes to mind.

Bryan

7. kropduster

kropduster

what he said.... the fenders and the gravel pan are different. the 54 fenders are 4-5" shorter than the 53s. this is because the gravel pan and the fender on the 54 meet behind the parking light. the 53 has a flat pan, the fenders go all the way down to the bottom of the grill.

8. Jbirds51

Jbirds51
    from Sac ca

Hey Bryan if you know of where any pics are of the car you are talkin about..can you gimme a link?

ATOMIC.....THATS BADASS!! GREAT WORK MAN!!!

9. You definitely know the car Jay...there are tons of pics, but this is the first I found:

[​IMG]

Bryan

10. Squablow

Squablow

It'd be easy if you had a whole front clip from a '54, just bolt it on and go, no custom fabbing required.

11. Or...
    [​IMG]

Bryan

12. Jbirds51

Jbirds51
    from Sac ca

Ok i just got wood hahaha...thanks a million bryan!

13. Another from a year you were referring to...and it's a HAMBers (Nads):

[​IMG]

Bryan

14. Jbirds51

Jbirds51
    from Sac ca

I cant decide what i like best...Theres already 2 54's in the club...