Register now to get rid of these ads!

52 Olds Ignition Problem

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by knary, May 30, 2017.

1. knary

knary
    from kent ohio

I recently purchased a 52 Olds Holiday 88. It came with an 8 volt battery and it wouldn't start. I had the starter rebuilt along with a new solenoid and a new 6 volt battery. Still couldn't get it started. When I hook up a 12 volt jumper box it starts right up. Put on new heavy duty battery cables. Grounded battery to frame. Battery to block. Frame to starter. Very weak and wont start the engine. Jumped the neutral safety switch. Still wont start. Could this be he ignition switch? Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. So, it turns over slowly or not at all? have you shorted the battery terminal on the starter to the solenoid terminal at the starter? This bypasses the wiring.

3. knary

knary
    from kent ohio

Sometimes it turns slowly then quits. Other times there is nothing. Positive battery cable leads directly to solenoid.

4. If it turns slowly then we know the solenoid is engaging. (an assumption) If you short the solenoid terminal to the battery terminal at the starter you are bypassing the wiring and the ignition switch which would then rule out the wiring if the starter does the same thing. My suspicion is that the starter is not in good shape even though it has been rebuilt. I would pull it out and bench it. Then see if it acts the same hot wired to a battery. The only issue here is it will be free wheeling with no resistance of the compression. However, if it tests out good on the bench and it will not turn over in the car with resistance then I would suspect the starter for sure.

5. knary

knary
    from kent ohio

I'm very confident that the guys who rebuilt it knew what they were doing. They have a very strong reputation. I have an electric fuel pump on the car. When the car is started with a jumper box, the fuel pump hums. When I try to start it with the key, there is no noise. I tried to start it with a remote starter, but it wouldn't start. Could the ignition switch be the problem? Thanks

6. knary

knary
    from kent ohio

Also, is it possible that the voltage regulator was adjusted for the 8 volt battery?

7. Chances are that the pump is a 6 volt unit so with 12 volts it should "hum" a bit. Now, with the remote starter you state that it won't start. Can you define "won't start"? ie. engine turns slowly or does not turn at all.
    The regulator will not effect the initial starting of the engine but will effect the charging of the battery.
    Why don't you pull the plugs out and try the starter to see if it functions the same or if it rolls the engine over as it should. Then I would visit the rebuilder and tell him what you are experiencing because it appears to me that the rebuilt starter does not have enough torque strength to do the job.

8. knary

knary
    from kent ohio

Thanks for your advice. I'm taking the car to the guy who rebuilt the starter