Register now to get rid of these ads!

52 Hudson Leadsled

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aussie56, May 5, 2009.

1. aussie56

aussie56
    from Australia

I have been lurking on this site for ages and love alot of the work you guys are doing, thought I would post a video of my 1952 Hudson that I am restoring. It's nearly ready to go back on the road just have to put the engine back in (hopefully next week) and the windows and a few more things. I bought it before christmas last year from a guy who enjoyed the car but didn't take care of it and the guys who did work on it previously did a pretty average job.

I am looking forward to driving it and cruising around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DpU2ACOljQ

Cheers
    Adam

2. aussie56

aussie56
    from Australia

What doesn't anyboby like the look of my car???

3. LabRat

LabRat

I think you have done some good work so far ... congrats
    Post a few pic's not everybody has a good connection to watch vid's

4. aussie56

aussie56
    from Australia

Here's some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. fat141

fat141

Looks good, IMO shiny paint looks even better.
    WHERE in Australia are you,I need to know in case I need to steal your tools
    cheers Rod

6. Smooth Customs

Smooth Customs

Now here is a car with a past

I first saw it about 18 years ago when Roddie owned it and was painted Purple. Have photos somewhere
    I made up the Cruzin skirts for him
    He later sold it and a young guy on the coasts
    He took it to a shop that did the back door conversion, new paint and trim.
    Later for some reason it was painted flat black?
    The car was sold to a guy at Banora point, who took it to the Zombie workshop. They contacted us wanting information about fitting a Jag front end. (as we had done a few on Hudson over the years)
    And I take it that you bought it off E Bay from the guy at Banora point.
    At one time it had a tough 350 fitted

7. Docco

Docco
    from Ippy

Looks like a cool cruiser.

8. aussie56

aussie56
    from Australia

Yep this is that car!!!

The young guy on the coast had it painted orange with flames and orange and white interior, I haven't seen any pics of what it looked like back then, but apparently they must have got bored with the car as it sat half in half out of a shed for about a year and the whole rear underneath was eaten away, the guy i bought it off had the rear so low that no one saw this rust and did nothing about it. I have had nearly all the rust cut out and all the holes welded up properly, ( when they shaved the doors and trunk lid someone bogged the holes and most of the rust spots.....very poor effort).
    It has got the jag front end now and soon I hope to add some air bags. Its still has the tough 350 its getting a freshen up at the moment and should be back in next week.

"Smooth" if you have any pics of the car any chance you could send me a pm and email them to me. I have a couple from wintersun back in '94 when it had a huge letterbox on the bonnet.

Cheers,
    Adam

9. garth slater

garth slater
    from Melbourne

10. Smooth Customs

Smooth Customs

Will look for you
    Have one with the scoop as well

Your car is so similar to one I did about twelve years ago, lights pipes spots and caps.
    Except it had shinny paint.

Be good to see it back on the road again, you must be happy with the progress you have made concidering the work that was required.

11. unclechop

unclechop

I think I saw it for sale at wintersun a few years ago for 14K.
    I was ready to outlay but the handbrake stopped me-no vision!

12. aussie56

aussie56
    from Australia

Its coming along really nicely compared to what it was when i bought it, I thought the car was fine but when we got it up on my mates hoist it told a totally different story. The repair work was done by Brent out at Logan Village, he did a really good job for a good price too. "Smooth" if you had noticed we actually shortened the skirts at the door and also made them about 1/2 as wide it runs nicely on the body line. I am just up the road from you and have seen some of your work, have to say you do a great job. I am looking to get some pinstriping done on the car, hopefully before Wintersun, i will have to find someone to do it.

13. uncle chop i think the one you saw at wintersun a few years back may be owned by another hamber blue collar stu, its a 51 pacemaker and it was a mess under that flat back paint.

14. Smooth Customs

Smooth Customs

When Robbie first fitted the skirts he just screwed them to the body, and overlaped the rear doors.
    And that stopped anyone opening them!

Why not wait till you get to Wintersun to get the car pinstriped, you will have a selection of some great guys there pulling lines to choose from

15. unclechop

unclechop

That could be bcs's because I couldnt remember it having suicide rear doors.
    Aussie 56: very jealous of your car -what a gem

16. Flying Tiger

Flying Tiger
    from Japan

I defenantly like it better after you went through it. Nice job.

17. Jamin

Jamin
    from Australia

If that is Robs old car it's got a million stories behind it. It sure had one hell of a stinkin motor in it. I remember after the skirts went on he had to jack the car up then jack the diff down to change the rear tyres. A good friend of mine used it for his wedding car about 15 years ago - very swank Golf Course reception, when it was over Rob drove them away with both wheels smokin the whole way out. I've got some old photos somewhere, including ones with that bloody scoop, I'll see if I can dig them out.

18. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

Wow cool video of the Hudson,great music and video work.I like the car also just the way it is.Seems weard to me seeing the steering wheel on the right side,LOL.Yea I know it doesn't to you. Nice ride!

19. studhud

studhud

I dig the rear doors pretty cool they swing suicide! I also dig the right hand drive I know its normal for you guys but its weird to see as Im not used to it.
    Welcome to the Hamb. By the way tons of Hudson stuff here.
    LTR Dave

20. aussie56

aussie56
    from Australia

I have heard a few stories about this car, one being that at Wintersun Rob apparently laid a huge burnout all the way down Marine Parade before they had the speed humps in and there was smoke everywhere and the fire dept. was called. I have only driven this car once before we took it off the road and that was the trip back from buying it down the coast and being the first trip i was a bit hesitate not knowing the handle of the car, so i am yet to feel the full extend of this engine. I have replaced the 3500 stall converter for a bit more of a cruiser, I couldn't even get it up my drive way the rear was that low. So the rear suspension is being replaced and air bags will be coming. We have fixed the skirts so they are an easy remove to change the wheels although the previous owner made the rear guards hinge up away from the body and it was very agricultural so that was done away with and not its not too bad to change the wheels. The interior was ditched as everyone said it looked like it was done by a boat trimmer, I have done away with the B&M pro stick and got a nice Lokar big swan neck shifter to put in its place. Not sure what I am going to do with the inside door panels yet but don't think they'll be done for Wintersun.

If anyone does have old photos of my car I would love to get a copy of them.

Cheers,
    Adam

21. Cool! I like the Chevy grille.